pg_dump and data consistency in the backup

От ing.Martin Prášek
Тема pg_dump and data consistency in the backup
Дата
Re: pg_dump and data consistency in the backup  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Список pgsql-general
How pg_dump honor data consistency on its output?

ie:

I have production system with some transaction in progress, some commited,
some not yet, clients normally work with the database.
Let database have some tables like "data",
"archive","something","something_else".

when i start pg_dump for creating backup

(like $ pg_dump mydb > output_file )

 on production and loaded system ,  IS IT   teoretically POSIBLE  that
somebody update (and commit) for example table "something", before
execution of  pg_dump ended ??   For example :pg_dump just process table
"data", but  other users can change table "archive" ?
or other example : pg_dump processed table "data", just process table
"archive" and while processing somebody can updata table "data" (witch is
currently dumped) and table "something" ?So it can lead to  an unconsistent
backup ????

Or pg_dump lock entire database mydb and backup is  perfectly consistent
and make (useful and consistent) backup from running server is complettly
safe ????

Thanx for answer and execuse my wrong english.

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.