RE: [HACKERS] Caution: tonight's commits force initdb

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема RE: [HACKERS] Caution: tonight's commits force initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

Thanks for your good jobs.

After applying this change,I tested some cases.
For a table t,explain shows

explain select * from t;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
Seq Scan on t  (cost=1716.32 rows=27131 width=612)

And with ORDER BY clause

explain select * from t order by key;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
Index Scan using t_pkey on t  (cost=2284.55 rows=27131 width=612)

Hmm,Index scan is chosen to select all rows.
AFAIK,sequential scan + sort is much faster than index scan in
most cases.
cost of index scan < cost of sequential scan + cost of sort

I have felt that the current cost estimation of index scan is too small,
though I have no alternative.

Comments ?

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp