Does PostgreSQL use mmap()?

От Michael Crawford
Тема Does PostgreSQL use mmap()?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Does PostgreSQL use the mmap() system call?

This allows you to use a file as a segment of virtual memory.

If it doesn't, or has a build option to not use it and still perform
reasonably well, it probably wouldn't be hard to port it to the Be operating
system, using it's POSIX compatibility layer.

The folks on BeDevTalk are clamoring for an SQL server and some of the
others that have been tried rely heavily on mmap, which is planned for
future implementation but is not there yet.

For those of you not familiar with the BeOS, it is a preemptive multitasking
OS with protected memory, threads, and supports symmetric multiprocessing.
It has a POSIX API but it's native API is all in C++.  (For example, you
instantiate a BFile then call it's Read method to read in a file, but if you
have some unix code, you can use just open() and read().)

It runs on Pentium PC's and certain models of PowerPC macintoshes, and is
described at http://www.be.com

I use it on the same PC, that when I switch to Linux I run PostgreSQL on.

Mike Crawford

--
Michael D. Crawford           business: crawford@goingware.com
                               http://www.goingware.com