Re: Multithreaded query onto 4 postgresql instances

От mark
Тема Re: Multithreaded query onto 4 postgresql instances
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Otherwise you probably didn't gain anything
> by splitting your database up like that - you've just reduced the
> available resources on that single machine.

Unless that single machine has more resource than a single PG instance can
consume to satisfy one query. (see how much faster a greenplum single node
can be at some workloads on a server with lots of disk)

What is commonly considered commodity hardware often has plenty of spare
resources if deployed with stock PG in a data warehouse roll and doesn't
have many queries being run against it at any given time.

Of course if he doesn't have spare resources on the machine he might just be
making his life worse, and far more complex.

Just my thoughts, I don't consider myself an expert on the subject matter.
Mark