Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a new project.

От Carl E. McMillin
Тема Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a new project.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> ...That's one of the reasons I wrote Pl/Java.

More power too you! I'd really like to hear more about this project. Is

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pljava/projdisplay.php

your URL?

> In essence, I don't think we disagree on anything.
> The only thing I'm reacting to is the term "app-server" which I
> think is badly chosen. Stored procedures and functions doesn't
> make a database an app-server, no matter what you put in them.

I'm now in complete agreement: app-server doesn't fit.  Do you have any
suggestions?  Would a postgreslet be out of bounds, do you think?

> You can write your own functions in C and thereby get
> all the process control you want. Or if you want to make life
> easier and get a more portable solution (by my standards that is)
> why not use Java?

I admit my almost complete ignorance of how sensitive the postgres backend
is to all the hazards of process-control: is the postgres process REALLY
just another UNIX process?  Can I "exec" on top of it?  Can I fork? Can I
have a child-process using IPC wait for 10 mins for its connected process do
its work without hosing the postmaster with its shared memory locks and all
that?  I've held off any serious development along these lines since I don't
have the time to do heavy code-trawling, that seeming the only way of
obtaining the level of detail necessary to do the job well.

I would most definitely use embedded java if it could do at-minimum SRF's
and spawn processes.  Something similar to SPI for Java would be pretty
useful too, I imagine.

Best Regards,

Carl <|};-)>