Re: Disable or remove 'drop' button on toolbar

От Tabish Naeem
Тема Re: Disable or remove 'drop' button on toolbar
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
It’s integral to have a complete User Management Module with a Permissions Management System in every admin panel
otherwiseyour web application is destined to a fail.

Regards,

Tabish Naeem
MI Dynamics - Offshore Software Development
Tabish.naeem@midgr.com
www.midgr.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Dave Page
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 12:49 PM
To: Joseph Marlin
Cc: Colin Beckingham; pgAdmin Support
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Disable or remove 'drop' button on toolbar

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Joseph Marlin <jmarlin@saucontech.com> wrote:
> Ah yes, indeed.
>
> Counterpoint would be that this is like detonation charges at the base of a bridge and then saying that the police
shouldsimply keep people away from the bomb. Why not just remove the explosives from such an easily reached place?

That's exactly the point - you implement security at the base level (taking the explosives away). In this case, that
meansnot giving the users roles on the database that allow them to drop anything they shouldn't.

Implementing security at the client level is *never* correct. In this case, the users could just use the query tool if
theyactually wanted to bypass the missing drop option, or go get another client and connect with that.

> I can see the argument both ways. It definitely would be better access control to give managers/non-developers a role
thatdoesn't allow modification. I'll look into a role. Thanks!

dialogue.Even I have accidentally clicked it a few times. I can't imagine why I'd even want such a convenient way to
dropour entire production schema.

>> Is there any way to remove this button from the toolbar, or disable it? I could then go remove it from all the
managers'installations (and mine!).

>> Thanks!
>> Joseph Marlin
>>

> One way would be to require the users to log in to the database under
> a special user/role where the permissions are specially crafted to
> ensure that they don't have permission to cause the damage you fear.
> This puts the onus on the backend (Postgresql), not the frontend
> (PgAdmin) You could argue that this is where the responsibility
> properly should be embedded, on the back end.
>

> --

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake