Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function

От Tony Marston
Тема Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Nice try, but I don't use Java. I'm a COBOL man myself :)

Actually, I am currently developing software with PHP that I don't want tied
to a single DBMS, which is my I am looking for portability between MySQL,
PostgreSQL and Oracle.

>  If so, you could benefit=20
> from the fact that the volunteers in the PostgreSQL community=20
> have put the effort into the JDBC driver to support the=20
> escape sequence for portable string concatenation.  This=20
> works in PostgreSQL:
>=20=20
> select {fn CONCAT(field1, ' ', field2)}
>=20=20
> However, for maximum portability, you should probably use:
>=20=20
> select {fn CONCAT({fn CONCAT(field1, ' ')}, field2)}
>=20=20
> Using more than two parameters does not work in the JDBC=20
> driver for at least one commercial DBMS product.  (I found=20
> one where there is no exception thrown for the additional=20
> parameters; they are silently
> discarded.)
>=20=20
> -Kevin
>=20=20
> P.S.  A more professional and cooperative tone in any future=20
> posts would be appreciated.

I will try.

Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net=20

=20=20
> 6:39 AM >>>
>=20
> I would like the option to use CONCAT(field1, ' ', field2)=20
> instead of the vertical bar syntax (field1 || ' ' || field2)=20
> as this is also available in other popular databases (MySQL,=20
> ORACLE). I am trying to develop applications which are=20
> daabase independent, so the use of common SQL syntax is very=20
> important.
>=20
>=20

Сообщение: Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function
Сообщение: Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function