Re: pg_autovacuum, vacuumdb on Windows XP

От Zlatko Matić
Тема Re: pg_autovacuum, vacuumdb on Windows XP
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello.

I have found README file, and tried to install pg_autovacuum as Windows
service, by a batch file:
@echo off
set ODREDISTE=C:
echo target disc is %ODREDISTE%
cd %ODREDISTE%\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin
pg_autovacuum.exe pgsql-8.0.4 -I -N postgres_service -W postgres_service

"postgres_service" was both "service" username and password during
installation of postgreSQL...
But, an error apeared regarding username and password. Then I tried with
Windows administrator username and password, also unsuccessfully.
Finally I removed -N and -W parameters and then there was a message on
console that it is successfully installed as service.
The final batch file was:
@echo off
set ODREDISTE=C:
echo target disc is %ODREDISTE%
cd %ODREDISTE%\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin
pg_autovacuum.exe pgsql-8.0.4 -I

My questions are the following:

1. Is pg_autovacuum now really active and how can I be sure ?
2. Is it allowed to use pg_autovacuum -I without specifying parameters -N
and -W ?
3. Why I was unable to pass username and password to parameters -N and -W?
4. Should -N be Windows administrator or postgres service username ?
5. If -N is postrges service name and -W password of that service, and both
are entered as plain text in the batch file, how can it reflect to security
of database? In fact, what can do service username postgres (or
postgres_service in my case) ?

I'm sorry for bothering you,

Zlatko