Postgres hardware configuration, clustering and replication

От Peter Alberer
Тема Postgres hardware configuration, clustering and replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi there,

I have to make up a plan for the hardware configuration of a server that is going to be used only for hosting postgresql. It will be part of a web application and accessed by several web servers. The server should therefore be as powerful as possible J Unfortunately I could not find any documentation on the “ideal hardware configuration”.

So I am not quite sure about a few things:

-        should I go for one or more CPUs? Usually MP CPUs are somewhat slower than the currently available CPUs for single-cpu-systems.

-        I thought about using an external raid subsystem utilizing raid5 (10x73GB 4MB Cache). Would it be faster to go for several raid10 disk combinations, and moving some data files to these combinations?

-        Are there clustering solutions available for postgres? The best configuration would be somehow extendable if performance increased. But adding CPUs is not so easy usually. Adding a new server to a cluster would probably be easier.

-        I had a look at several load-balancing and replication apps. (DBBalancer, PGreplicator, …) Some efforts seem to be discontinued. Did anyone use some of these systems in a production environment?

Thanks for any help or hints to other documents

Peter Alberer