Case insensitive select

От isaac flemmin
Тема Case insensitive select
Дата
Re: Case insensitive select  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
Список pgsql-sql
Hello,

I am using PostgreSQL 7.2 and I am trying to do a case insensitive
select statement using the lower function. I am using these lines from
the PostgreSQL 7.2 users guide as a template for my query.

--
"For example, a common way to do case-insensitive comparisons is to use
the lower function:

The query looks almost exactly the same but it always returns 0 results.
This does not make sense to me because if the query,

"SELECT * FROM test1 WHERE col1 = 'Value';",

returns something, then I assume the query,

"SELECT * FROM test1 WHERE lower(col1) = 'value';",

should return something as well. Do I not understand the way that the
lower function works, or is there something else I have to do? Obviously
I am doing something wrong or it would be working. I really have no idea
how to do a case insensitive query other than with the lower function.
If there is anyone out there who has any ideas on how to help me or can
point me toward something that will help me it would be very
appreciated.

Thanks
Isaac
--