Re: Paged Query

От Misa Simic
Тема Re: Paged Query
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Andrew,

Sure... We are sending data in Json to clients

{
total:6784,
data:[50 rows for desired page]
}

SELECT count(*) FROM table - without where, without joins used to have
bad performance... However, in real scenario we have never had the case
without joins and where... Join columns are always indexed, and we
always try to put indexes on columns what will mostly be used in where
in usual queries...

So far we haven't met performance problems...

But to be honest with you, total info very rarely in our responses is
bigger then 10k, and mainly is less then 1k... what is really small
number todays.. (even tables have few million rows, but restrictions
always reduce "desired" total data on less then 1000...)

When users want to work on something on every day basis... Usually they
want "immediatly", things, what are just for them...draft things on
what they worked in last few days, or assigned just to them etc etc...

When they need to pass trough some process once a month... And
performance is "slow" - usually they don't bother... Every day tasks is
what is important and what we care about to have good performance...

In very rarely cases, when we know, performance must be slow from many
reasons - we are lying :) - return first page, (hopefully with data
what user looking for), and return 1000 as total... Return result to
user, and async run CalculateTotalForThisCaseAndCache it... On first
next request for the same thing (but other page) if calculation is
done, return results from cache (with real total number)... But it is
really on very exceptional basis then on regular...

Cheers

Misa

Sent from my Windows Phone