Re: Serializable transaction restart/re-execute

От Filipe Pina
Тема Re: Serializable transaction restart/re-execute
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Bill, thanks for the quick reply.

I had read about SAVEPOINTs but I also read I cannot use them in PLPGSQL and
should use BEGIN/END blocks and EXCEPTIONs.

Did you check the URL I mentioned? I have the code I used there:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION myretest() RETURNS integer AS $$
DECLARE
    tries integer := 5;
BEGIN
    WHILE TRUE LOOP
        BEGIN -- nested block for exception
            RETURN mytest();
        EXCEPTION
            WHEN SQLSTATE '40001' THEN
                IF tries > 0 THEN
                    tries := tries - 1;
                    RAISE NOTICE 'Restart! % left', tries;
                ELSE
                    RAISE EXCEPTION 'NO RESTARTS LEFT';
                END IF;
        END;
    END LOOP;
END
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

But it doesn't work.. Every iteration fails with serialization_failure
probably because the outer transaction is not rolled back and I'm not sure
how to write this in a way I can roll it back and still have control of the
LOOP..

I find it hard to believe that PGSQL has this amazing "serializable"
isolation method but not a standard way to take advantage of it to
automatically "restart" the failed transactions...