Обсуждение: Pgupgrade is best?

Pgupgrade is best?

От
still Learner
Дата:
Hi There,

Planning to upgrade a double digit TB sized DB from PG 9.4 to 11.1. what is the best way ? Logical or pgupgrade with -k ? Or any other plz suggest. Tried slony but didn't help much in poc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Re: Pgupgrade is best?

От
Fabio Pardi
Дата:
Hi,

If a bit of primary database downtime (and a lot of standby(s) re-sync
time) is an issue, I would use logical replication.

regards,

fabio pardi

On 3/7/19 12:40 PM, still Learner wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> Planning to upgrade a double digit TB sized DB from PG 9.4 to 11.1. what
> is the best way ? Logical or pgupgrade with -k ? Or any other plz
> suggest. Tried slony but didn't help much in poc.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards.

Re: Pgupgrade is best?

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
On 7/3/19 1:40 μ.μ., still Learner wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> Planning to upgrade a double digit TB sized DB from PG 9.4 to 11.1. what is the best way ? Logical or pgupgrade with
-k? Or any other plz suggest. Tried slony but didn't help much in poc.

We upgraded ours from 9.3 -> 10 in summer 2018, with quite a lot of custom code, functions, extensions and it went
absolutelyfine, we were able to have the server up in some minutes.

However, you should EXTREMELY test everything before the final upgrade, and I dont mean only the actual app (and all
kindsof db related code, queries, data sources, drivers, etc),  but the actual

pg_upgrade as well. You don't wanna be left compiling and upgrading some extension during the upgrade phase. All should
betested and documented (I wouldn't say automated but you get the point)

beforehand.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead