Обсуждение: List types

List types

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
user groups... Should we just merge these?

(http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)

//Magnus

Re: List types

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
>  mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
>  user groups... Should we just merge these?
>
>  (http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)

The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events etc.
The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
region-speciifc content.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: List types

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:05:17PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> > What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
> >  mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
> >  user groups... Should we just merge these?
> >
> >  (http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)
>
> The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events etc.
> The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
> region-speciifc content.

So why is persian pug under regional? Soudns like it's either in the wrong
place, or has the wrong name...

//Magnus

Re: List types

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:05:17PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>  > > What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
>  > >  mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
>  > >  user groups... Should we just merge these?
>  > >
>  > >  (http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)
>  >
>  > The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events etc.
>  > The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
>  > region-speciifc content.
>
>  So why is persian pug under regional? Soudns like it's either in the wrong
>  place, or has the wrong name...

Oh, I don't know - stop asking technical questions on the www list :-p

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: List types

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

> >  So why is persian pug under regional? Soudns like it's either in the
> > wrong place, or has the wrong name...

I think it's in the wrong place.  Who runs it, anyway?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: List types

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:10:59AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > >  So why is persian pug under regional? Soudns like it's either in the
> > > wrong place, or has the wrong name...
>
> I think it's in the wrong place.  Who runs it, anyway?

No clue :-)
But since the list-of-lists is now in a database, it's a simple UPDATE to
move it, once you're sure.

//Magnus

Re: List types

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> But since the list-of-lists is now in a database, it's a simple UPDATE to
> move it, once you're sure.

Cool.  Should we now have a redirect on http://archives.postgresql.org/,
or something?

Also, should pgsql-announce be on its own category?  It doesn't seem
correct to have it under "user lists".  IMHO anyway.

Re: List types

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:20:14PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > But since the list-of-lists is now in a database, it's a simple UPDATE to
> > move it, once you're sure.
>
> Cool.  Should we now have a redirect on http://archives.postgresql.org/,
> or something?

Not yet. I need to chat to you about some things around that one. There are
more things that we need to fix before we can start hacking on that one.

> Also, should pgsql-announce be on its own category?  It doesn't seem
> correct to have it under "user lists".  IMHO anyway.

Might be a good idea - suggest a name :P "Announcement lists"?

//Magnus

Re: List types

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:20:14PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > But since the list-of-lists is now in a database, it's a simple UPDATE to
> > > move it, once you're sure.
> >
> > Cool.  Should we now have a redirect on http://archives.postgresql.org/,
> > or something?
>
> Not yet. I need to chat to you about some things around that one. There are
> more things that we need to fix before we can start hacking on that one.

Okay, cool.

> > Also, should pgsql-announce be on its own category?  It doesn't seem
> > correct to have it under "user lists".  IMHO anyway.
>
> Might be a good idea - suggest a name :P "Announcement lists"?

"Announcements"

Re: List types

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>  > What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
>  >  mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
>  >  user groups... Should we just merge these?
>  >
>  >  (http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)
>
>  The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events etc.
>  The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
>  region-speciifc content.

Looking over the user group and regional lists, I feel like we need a
new category.

Here's what I propose:

User Groups  * organizing face-to-face meetings, local advocacy.  generally
highly-local discussion that is a mix of technical/non-technical

Regional Organization  * larger geographic area, non-profit groups, primarily
non-technical discussion

Language-specific lists  * These follow the model of pgsql-general - providing technical
support and referrals in a specific language: pgsql-es-ayuda,
pgsql-fr-generale and the Persian list *seem* to follow this model.
Alvarro could speak for pgsql-es-ayuda.  I *think* pgsql-it-generale
also falls in that category.  Gabriele?

Does that division sit well with people?  I can offer a patch later on
today for the pages and sidebars.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group

Re: List types

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:46:52AM -0800, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> >  > What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
> >  >  mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
> >  >  user groups... Should we just merge these?
> >  >
> >  >  (http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)
> >
> >  The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events etc.
> >  The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
> >  region-speciifc content.
>
> Looking over the user group and regional lists, I feel like we need a
> new category.
>
> Here's what I propose:
>
> User Groups
>    * organizing face-to-face meetings, local advocacy.  generally
> highly-local discussion that is a mix of technical/non-technical
>
> Regional Organization
>    * larger geographic area, non-profit groups, primarily
> non-technical discussion
>
> Language-specific lists
>    * These follow the model of pgsql-general - providing technical
> support and referrals in a specific language: pgsql-es-ayuda,
> pgsql-fr-generale and the Persian list *seem* to follow this model.
> Alvarro could speak for pgsql-es-ayuda.  I *think* pgsql-it-generale
> also falls in that category.  Gabriele?

(I'm not commenting on this ATM, in the hope that others will)

> Does that division sit well with people?  I can offer a patch later on
> today for the pages and sidebars.

It lives in the database as of today, so there's no patch to move these
things around. It's a bunch of UPDATE statements...

//Magnus

Re: List types

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: List types

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:51:53AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:29:49 +0100
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:05:17PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:

> > > The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events
> > > etc. The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
> > > region-speciifc content.
>
> If we actually have a definition of each list. I would like to see us
> include that definition the page:

It doesn't right now, but it's easy enough to add it. I'll look at that
once we have agreement on what the categories shuold be :-) (See Selenas
mail)

//Magnus

Re: List types

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>  If we actually have a definition of each list. I would like to see us
>  include that definition the page:
>
>  User lists:
>
>  Used for technical questions about PostgreSQL

I like that. Sounds nicer than 'language-specific'.  For each list, it
would be good to indicate which language is used.

>  Regional Lists:

I think this should be 'Regional Organizations':

Lists for geographical regions, includes non-profit groups and are for
regional coordination and non-technical discussion.

>  User Group Lists:
>
>  Lists for local user groups. Contact them for local PostgreSQL events.

This sounds good to me!

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group
http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: List types

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann escribió:

> Regional Organization
>    * larger geographic area, non-profit groups, primarily
> non-technical discussion
>
> Language-specific lists
>    * These follow the model of pgsql-general - providing technical
> support and referrals in a specific language: pgsql-es-ayuda,
> pgsql-fr-generale and the Persian list *seem* to follow this model.
> Alvarro could speak for pgsql-es-ayuda.  I *think* pgsql-it-generale
> also falls in that category.  Gabriele?
>
> Does that division sit well with people?  I can offer a patch later on
> today for the pages and sidebars.

Yeah, pgsql-es-ayuda is language-specific and not region-specific in the
way you describe.  I would think tr-genel also falls in this category.

It would also seem to make sense to separate PUGs from "regional org"
stuff.  Would this mean that the current "Persian PUG" is not really a
PUG but rather a regional organization?  Also, I wonder whether the
Persian PUG, or other country-wide lists, should be actually in both
categories.

(With the current rapid growth of PUGs I wonder whether it would be good
to categorize them by country.)