Обсуждение: Major Version Upgradation in Replication Environment

Major Version Upgradation in Replication Environment

От
"Vicky Soni - Quipment India"

Quipment Logo

Hello Friends,

                        We have a windows setup where we have 2 node primary-slave setup which comprises Async Replication + Log Shippin on slave.

Now we want to upgrade it from 9.3 to 9.4 version.

Do we need to upgrade slave to 9.4, upgrade master to 9.4 and setup replication again from scratch?

What are the best possible ways available to upgrade slave and master without setting up replication again?

Our Setup – WINDOWS SERVER 2012 , PostgreSQL 9.3.12 on primary and slave

Objective – To Upgrade Master and Slave from 9.3 to 9.4

Vicky Soni
Database Administrator

.Net Department

T / +91 (0) 93288 80507
vicky.soni@ / www.quipment.in

QTwee Group BV
KvK Arnhem 60858001
BTW NL854090721B01
mail@ / www.quipment.nl

Hoofdkantoor Nijmegen
Kerkenbos 1236 C
6546 BE Nijmegen

Tel.

+31 (0)24 372 47 00

Fax.

+31 (0)24 372 47 07

Quipment India
A-212 Shivalik Corporate Park
B/H IOC Petrol Pump
Satellite, Ahmedabad
Gujarat - 380015 - India
Tel. +91 (0) 79 4009 7847

Disclaimer

This e-mail message (including any attachment) is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

Вложения

Re: Major Version Upgradation in Replication Environment

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:

Hello Friends,

                        We have a windows setup where we have 2 node primary-slave setup which comprises Async Replication + Log Shippin on slave.

Now we want to upgrade it from 9.3 to 9.4 version.

Do we need to upgrade slave to 9.4, upgrade master to 9.4 and setup replication again from scratch?

Just upgrade master to 9.4, install 9.4 on slave, and setup replication again.

What are the best possible ways available to upgrade slave and master without setting up replication again?

You can't.

--

Re: Major Version Upgradation in Replication Environment

Дата:
On Thu, May  5, 2016 at 03:59:00PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> :
>

>     Hello Friends,
>

>                             We have a windows setup where we have 2 node
>     primary-slave setup which comprises Async Replication + Log Shippin on slave.
>

>     Now we want to upgrade it from 9.3 to 9.4 version.
>

>     Do we need to upgrade slave to 9.4, upgrade master to 9.4 and setup replication
>     again from scratch?
>

> Just upgrade master to 9.4, install 9.4 on slave, and setup replication again.
>

>     What are the best possible ways available to upgrade slave and master without
>     setting up replication again?
>

> You can't.

Actually, the 9.5 pg_upgrade docs have in insructions on how upgrade a
slave without recreating the slave image, and it works back to 9.1:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/pgupgrade.html
    Upgrade Streaming Replication and Log-Shipping standby servers

Re: Major Version Upgradation in Replication Environment

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Thu, May  5, 2016 at 03:59:00PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> :
>

>     Hello Friends,
>

>                             We have a windows setup where we have 2 node
>     primary-slave setup which comprises Async Replication + Log Shippin on slave.
>

>     Now we want to upgrade it from 9.3 to 9.4 version.
>

>     Do we need to upgrade slave to 9.4, upgrade master to 9.4 and setup replication
>     again from scratch?
>

> Just upgrade master to 9.4, install 9.4 on slave, and setup replication again.
>

>     What are the best possible ways available to upgrade slave and master without
>     setting up replication again?
>

> You can't.

Actually, the 9.5 pg_upgrade docs have in insructions on how upgrade a
slave without recreating the slave image, and it works back to 9.1:

        http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/pgupgrade.html
        Upgrade Streaming Replication and Log-Shipping standby servers

Well, you still have to rsync the data directory (and all tablespaces' directories). Though I agree you don't literaly have to do a complete setup.

Thanks for the clarification.