Обсуждение: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

От
John Scalia
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm not sure of policy on the yum.postgresql.org website, but I have a small difficulty. We haven't yet upgraded beyond
9.3.3,and that's been working fairly well for us. For an
upcoming project, we need to build out a new environment from scratch, which means being able to download everything
fromeither the RedHat yum sites or from 3rd party yum sites.
Well, the older 9.3.3 version isn't on the postgresql site anymore. Now 9.3.4 and above are, but that means a whole new
andtime-consuming round of testing if we migrate up. Is
there any chance of putting the older 9.3.3 instance back on the yum site? Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that should
motivateus to get off it immediately?

Thanks,
Jay

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

Дата:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:06:58PM -0400, John Scalia wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure of policy on the yum.postgresql.org website, but I have a small difficulty. We haven't yet upgraded
beyond9.3.3, and that's been working fairly well for us. For an
> upcoming project, we need to build out a new environment from scratch, which means being able to download everything
fromeither the RedHat yum sites or from 3rd party yum sites.
> Well, the older 9.3.3 version isn't on the postgresql site anymore. Now 9.3.4 and above are, but that means a whole
newand time-consuming round of testing if we migrate up. Is
> there any chance of putting the older 9.3.3 instance back on the yum site? Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that
shouldmotivate us to get off it immediately?

I think you need to read this, and do all minor upgrades when they are
available:

    http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

    The community considers not upgrading to be riskier than
    upgrading.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

От
Matheus de Oliveira

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, the older 9.3.3 version isn't on the postgresql site anymore. Now 9.3.4 and above are, but that means a whole new and time-consuming round of testing if we migrate up. Is
there any chance of putting the older 9.3.3 instance back on the yum site? Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that should motivate us to get off it immediately?

The PostgreSQL versioning follows X.Y.Z, where X.Y is the release, and Z is bug-fix, so you should always run the higher Z of your X.Y version, see the versioining policy at [1]. An upgrade on Z shouldn't cause incompatibility, but you should check the first paragraphs of the release notes [2].

So, that all means you should be on 9.3.6 right now.
Matheus de Oliveira
Analista de Banco de Dados
Dextra Sistemas - MPS.Br nível F!
www.dextra.com.br/postgres

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

От
John Scalia
Дата:
On 3/18/2015 12:17 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:06:58PM -0400, John Scalia wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm not sure of policy on the yum.postgresql.org website, but I have a small difficulty. We haven't yet upgraded
beyond9.3.3, and that's been working fairly well for us. For an
>> upcoming project, we need to build out a new environment from scratch, which means being able to download everything
fromeither the RedHat yum sites or from 3rd party yum sites.
>> Well, the older 9.3.3 version isn't on the postgresql site anymore. Now 9.3.4 and above are, but that means a whole
newand time-consuming round of testing if we migrate up. Is
>> there any chance of putting the older 9.3.3 instance back on the yum site? Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that
shouldmotivate us to get off it immediately?
> I think you need to read this, and do all minor upgrades when they are
> available:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
>     The community considers not upgrading to be riskier than
>     upgrading.
Sure, I read this earlier, but if this is really the issue, then why are 9.3.4 and 9.3.5 both still available on the
yumsite? Isn't that also a sort of violation since the current
version of 9.3 is 9.3.6?
--
Jay

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

Дата:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:21:37PM -0400, John Scalia wrote:
> On 3/18/2015 12:17 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:06:58PM -0400, John Scalia wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm not sure of policy on the yum.postgresql.org website, but I have a small difficulty. We haven't yet upgraded
beyond9.3.3, and that's been working fairly well for us. For an
> >> upcoming project, we need to build out a new environment from scratch, which means being able to download
everythingfrom either the RedHat yum sites or from 3rd party yum sites.
> >> Well, the older 9.3.3 version isn't on the postgresql site anymore. Now 9.3.4 and above are, but that means a
wholenew and time-consuming round of testing if we migrate up. Is
> >> there any chance of putting the older 9.3.3 instance back on the yum site? Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that
shouldmotivate us to get off it immediately?
> > I think you need to read this, and do all minor upgrades when they are
> > available:
> >
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
> >
> >     The community considers not upgrading to be riskier than
> >     upgrading.
> Sure, I read this earlier, but if this is really the issue, then why are 9.3.4 and 9.3.5 both still available on the
yumsite? Isn't that also a sort of violation since the current
> version of 9.3 is 9.3.6?

I don't know.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

От
jaime soler
Дата:
El mié, 18-03-2015 a las 12:21 -0400, John Scalia escribió:
> On 3/18/2015 12:17 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:06:58PM -0400, John Scalia wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm not sure of policy on the yum.postgresql.org website, but I have a small difficulty. We haven't yet upgraded
beyond9.3.3, and that's been working fairly well for us. For an
> >> upcoming project, we need to build out a new environment from scratch, which means being able to download
everythingfrom either the RedHat yum sites or from 3rd party yum sites.
> >> Well, the older 9.3.3 version isn't on the postgresql site anymore. Now 9.3.4 and above are, but that means a
wholenew and time-consuming round of testing if we migrate up. Is
> >> there any chance of putting the older 9.3.3 instance back on the yum site? Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that
shouldmotivate us to get off it immediately?
> > I think you need to read this, and do all minor upgrades when they are
> > available:
> >
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
> >
> >     The community considers not upgrading to be riskier than
> >     upgrading.
> Sure, I read this earlier, but if this is really the issue, then why are 9.3.4 and 9.3.5 both still available on the
yumsite? Isn't that also a sort of violation since the current
> version of 9.3 is 9.3.6?

For any problems/questions/wishlist , please e-mail pgsql-pkg-yum ~~at~~
postgresql dot org

> --
> Jay

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

От
Дата:
John Scalia wrote on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:07 PM:
> Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that should motivate us to get off it immediately?

Consider this:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1328517318.859752.1424472489522.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com
"Oh, and please update to 9.3.6; there are some nasty bugs fixed."

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

От
John Scalia
Дата:
On 3/18/2015 12:48 PM, Holger.Friedrich-Fa-Trivadis@it.nrw.de wrote:
> John Scalia wrote on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:07 PM:
>> Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that should motivate us to get off it immediately?
> Consider this:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1328517318.859752.1424472489522.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com
> "Oh, and please update to 9.3.6; there are some nasty bugs fixed."
Yikes, I see what you mean, even though we haven't experienced any issues with 9.3.3. You should all know that I
personallyhave no problem upgrading at all and I've even put 9.4.0
into a sandbox just to satisfy my own curiosity. The problem here is more political, including the fact that Verizon is
tryingto migrate off of postgresql. I'm reasonably certain
if I say to migrate to a newer version, the suggestion will get canned, and the order come down to start using NuoDB
instead.

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 12:21 -0400, John Scalia wrote:
> Sure, I read this earlier, but if this is really the issue, then why
> are 9.3.4 and 9.3.5 both still available on the yum site? Isn't that
> also a sort of violation since the current
> version of 9.3 is 9.3.6?

Reason: I am sometimes lazy to remove older versions. :-) What we try to
do is keep last 2 versions of the packages under normal circumstances.

I'll run another cleanup soon.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Version on the yum.postgresql.org website

Дата:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 01:11:23PM -0400, John Scalia wrote:
> On 3/18/2015 12:48 PM, Holger.Friedrich-Fa-Trivadis@it.nrw.de wrote:
> > John Scalia wrote on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:07 PM:
> >> Or is some major flaw with 9.3.3 that should motivate us to get off it immediately?
> > Consider this:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1328517318.859752.1424472489522.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com
> > "Oh, and please update to 9.3.6; there are some nasty bugs fixed."
> Yikes, I see what you mean, even though we haven't experienced any issues with 9.3.3. You should all know that I
personallyhave no problem upgrading at all and I've even put 9.4.0
> into a sandbox just to satisfy my own curiosity. The problem here is more political, including the fact that Verizon
istrying to migrate off of postgresql. I'm reasonably certain
> if I say to migrate to a newer version, the suggestion will get canned, and the order come down to start using NuoDB
instead.

We created the webpage talking about upgrading so people could point to
that as support during political arguments about upgrading.

  + Everyone has their own god. +