Обсуждение: postgres backup ( logical using pg_dump) using AMANDA

postgres backup ( logical using pg_dump) using AMANDA

От
Dinesh Bhandary
Дата:
Hello,

Has anyone done postgres logical backup (pg_dump) using Amanda (
Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver).
So far I have seen plugin for wall logging method, but have not found
any information on pg_dump. Is it possible to
call a script that does pg_dump and move a dump file to the backup
destination using AMANDA.

Any help or workable solution is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dinesh

Re: postgres backup ( logical using pg_dump) using AMANDA

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Dinesh Bhandary <dbhandary@iii.com> wrote:

> Has anyone done postgres logical backup (pg_dump) using Amanda (
> Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver).
> So far I have seen plugin for wall logging method, but have not
> found any information on pg_dump.

IMO, there aren't many situations where regular backups should be
done with pg_dump instead of PITR backup techniques.  (Is that what
you meant by "wall logging method"?)  You might take lack of a
pg_dump plugin as a sign that nobody else has yet considered it a
good idea.

-Kevin

Re: postgres backup ( logical using pg_dump) using AMANDA

От
Dinesh Bhandary
Дата:
Yes, by wall logging I meant to say PITR backup.
We have a need for logical backup (pg_dump) in addition to PTIR backup
using wall logs.

I can't quite understand why there is no plugin for pg_dump since it is
such a popular tool to do logical backup.

Thanks.
Dinesh

On 2/13/2012 11:12 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Dinesh Bhandary<dbhandary@iii.com>  wrote:
>
>> Has anyone done postgres logical backup (pg_dump) using Amanda (
>> Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver).
>> So far I have seen plugin for wall logging method, but have not
>> found any information on pg_dump.
>
> IMO, there aren't many situations where regular backups should be
> done with pg_dump instead of PITR backup techniques.  (Is that what
> you meant by "wall logging method"?)  You might take lack of a
> pg_dump plugin as a sign that nobody else has yet considered it a
> good idea.
>
> -Kevin

Re: postgres backup ( logical using pg_dump) using AMANDA

От
Walter Hurry
Дата:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:57:39 -0800, Dinesh Bhandary wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone done postgres logical backup (pg_dump) using Amanda (
> Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver).
> So far I have seen plugin for wall logging method, but have not found
> any information on pg_dump. Is it possible to call a script that does
> pg_dump and move a dump file to the backup destination using AMANDA.
>
> Any help or workable solution is greatly appreciated.

I've never heard of AMANDA, but I don't understand the problem. The
output of pg_dump is just a file, albeit usually a large one.