Обсуждение: initdb fails on AIX

initdb fails on AIX

От
CS DBA
Дата:
Hi All;

We're getting the following error when we try to run initdb on an AIX box:

fgets failure: Error 0
The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the same
directory as "/opt/app/postgres/904/bin/initdb".
Check your installation.

We did this:

1) installed (via source) postgresql 9.0.4 using the following
parameters for the configure command:

--prefix=opt/app/postgres/904 --with-openssl

2) added opt/app/postgres/904 to the current PATH

3) exported PGDATA=/pgdata/newdb

4) ran "initdb"

Note: we also ran "initdb -D /pgdata/newdb" with the same results

Thoughts?

Kevin Kempter       -       Constent State
A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
           www.consistentstate.com

Re: initdb fails on AIX

Дата:
CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> writes:
> We're getting the following error when we try to run initdb on an AIX box:

> fgets failure: Error 0
> The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the same
> directory as "/opt/app/postgres/904/bin/initdb".
> Check your installation.

This means that initdb tried to execute "postgres -V" and didn't get any
output.  What happens when you try that directly?

            regards, tom lane

Re: initdb fails on AIX

От
CS DBA
Дата:
On 08/10/2011 01:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> CS DBA<cs_dba@consistentstate.com>  writes:
>> We're getting the following error when we try to run initdb on an AIX box:
>> fgets failure: Error 0
>> The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the same
>> directory as "/opt/app/postgres/904/bin/initdb".
>> Check your installation.
> This means that initdb tried to execute "postgres -V" and didn't get any
> output.  What happens when you try that directly?
>
>             regards, tom lane

See below.  One oddity, if I compile without the --with-openssl flag
(for the configure command) then it works fine.

Also, I forgot to mention that we are having to add the
--disable-thread-safety flag or the configure command fails complaining
that the platform is not thread safe - I suspect this is not the issue
but figured I should mention it just in case...

$ ./postgres -V
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./postgres because of the following
errors:
         0509-150   Dependent module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7)
could not be loaded.
         0509-022 Cannot load module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7).
         0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name
does not exist.

Kevin Kempter       -       Constent State
A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
           www.consistentstate.com

Re: initdb fails on AIX

Дата:
CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> writes:
> On 08/10/2011 01:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This means that initdb tried to execute "postgres -V" and didn't get any
>> output.  What happens when you try that directly?

> See below.  One oddity, if I compile without the --with-openssl flag
> (for the configure command) then it works fine.

> exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./postgres because of the following
> errors:
>          0509-150   Dependent module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7)
> could not be loaded.
>          0509-022 Cannot load module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7).
>          0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name
> does not exist.

Well, yeah.  It looks like there is something pretty broken about your
openssl installation.  At the very least you need a LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
local equivalent) pointing to wherever libcrypto.so is hiding ... but
a reasonable installation of openssl should have taken care of that for
you.  Possibly you could build postgres with an rpath (or local
equivalent) pointing to openssl's library directory.

            regards, tom lane

Re: initdb fails on AIX

От
CS DBA
Дата:
On 08/10/2011 02:22 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> CS DBA<cs_dba@consistentstate.com>  writes:
>> On 08/10/2011 01:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> This means that initdb tried to execute "postgres -V" and didn't get any
>>> output.  What happens when you try that directly?
>> See below.  One oddity, if I compile without the --with-openssl flag
>> (for the configure command) then it works fine.
>> exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./postgres because of the following
>> errors:
>>           0509-150   Dependent module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7)
>> could not be loaded.
>>           0509-022 Cannot load module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7).
>>           0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name
>> does not exist.
> Well, yeah.  It looks like there is something pretty broken about your
> openssl installation.  At the very least you need a LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
> local equivalent) pointing to wherever libcrypto.so is hiding ... but
> a reasonable installation of openssl should have taken care of that for
> you.  Possibly you could build postgres with an rpath (or local
> equivalent) pointing to openssl's library directory.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks, I'll see if I can track down the libcrypto location and try
tweaking LD_LIBRARY_PATH first..
Thanks again for the help.

/Kevin

Kevin Kempter       -       Constent State
A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
           www.consistentstate.com

Re: initdb fails on AIX

От
"Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)"
> >> This means that initdb tried to execute "postgres -V" and didn't get
> any
> >> output.  What happens when you try that directly?
>
> > See below.  One oddity, if I compile without the --with-openssl flag
> > (for the configure command) then it works fine.
>
> > exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./postgres because of the
> following
> > errors:
> >          0509-150   Dependent module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7)
> > could not be loaded.
> >          0509-022 Cannot load module libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7).
> >          0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name
> > does not exist.
>
> Well, yeah.  It looks like there is something pretty broken about your
> openssl installation.  At the very least you need a LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
> local equivalent) pointing to wherever libcrypto.so is hiding ... but
> a reasonable installation of openssl should have taken care of that for
> you.  Possibly you could build postgres with an rpath (or local
> equivalent) pointing to openssl's library directory.

I used to have all sorts of problems with openssl on AIX (not just Postgres, but other packages I tried building with
it). We had to build our own version to get it working with pretty much anything.

Brad.