Обсуждение: How to pg_upgrade an 8.4.3 Installation

How to pg_upgrade an 8.4.3 Installation

От
Nils Gösche
Дата:
Hi!

I have an additional question about the pg_upgrade bugfix described in
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/20110408pg_upgrade_fix

Suppose I have an 8.4.3 installation somewhere which I want to upgrade to
9.0.4.

Can I simply use the 9.0.4 pg_upgrade on this since the bug has been fixed
in 9.0.4, or would I first have to upgrade the 8.4 installation to 8.4.8?
If so, would be it enough to simply replace the 8.4.3 binaries with 8.4.8
versions, or would I have to start and stop the server once?

The reason I am asking this is because I am going to do the upgrade
automatically in an installer, and if I could avoid the double upgrade, it
would simplify things.

Nils Gösche

Re: How to pg_upgrade an 8.4.3 Installation

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On 06/20/2011 09:23 AM, Nils Gösche wrote:
> Can I simply use the 9.0.4 pg_upgrade on this since the bug has been fixed
> in 9.0.4, or would I first have to upgrade the 8.4 installation to 8.4.8?

Unless this 8.4 install was itself upgraded from 8.3 using pg_upgrade,
you can go right from 8.4.3 to 9.0.4.

The reason for the fix in 8.4.8 was to take care of people who use(d)
pg_upgrade to upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4.  Those people needed 8.4.8
released with the bug fix in order to correct the problem that could be
in their 8.4 databases.  If you did an 8.3->8.4 pg_upgrade on this
system before, you might want to do the standard fix suggested using
8.4.8.  But if this has always been an 8.4 system, you can just go right
to 9.0.4.