Обсуждение: I can't get postgres started.

I can't get postgres started.

От
Tena Sakai
Дата:
Hi everybody,

Sorry, I previously didn’t put subject line.

I recently built postgres 8.4.4 from source and tested it.
It seemed to work fine then, but I cannot seem to run psql
today.  I built it to run on port 6543.  Do I need to specify the
port number when I start it?

Here’s the session dialog:

  bash-3.2$ pg_ctl stop -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
  LOG:  received smart shutdown request
  LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
  LOG:  shutting down
  waiting for server to shut down....LOG:  database system is shut down
   done
  server stopped
  bash-3.2$

  bash-3.2$ pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
  server starting
  bash-3.2$ LOG:  database system was shut down at 2010-09-30 20:38:47 PDT
  LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
  LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
  bash-3.2$

  bash-3.2$ psql canon
  psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "172.16.0.151" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 6543?
  bash-3.2$

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu

Re: I can't get postgres started.

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 21:10 -0700, Tena Sakai wrote:
> I recently built postgres 8.4.4 from source and tested it.
> It seemed to work fine then, but I cannot seem to run psql
> today.  I built it to run on port 6543.  Do I need to specify the
> port number when I start it?

Did you change the port number in postgresql.conf? Specifying
--with-pgport only embeds port number to binaries, not to
postgresql.conf.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: I can't get postgres started.

От
Kenichiro Tanaka
Дата:
Hello

If  your listen_addresses is wrong,the same error can occur.

example)
$ cat postgresql.conf |grep listen_addresses
#listen_addresses = '*'         # what IP address(es) to listen on;
$ psql -h 192.168.23.133
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
         Is the server running on host "192.168.23.133" and accepting
         TCP/IP connections on port 1844?

Is your listen_addresses  right?

(2010/10/01 13:10), Tena Sakai wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Sorry, I previously didn’t put subject line.
>
> I recently built postgres 8.4.4 from source and tested it.
> It seemed to work fine then, but I cannot seem to run psql
> today.  I built it to run on port 6543.  Do I need to specify the
> port number when I start it?
>
> Here’s the session dialog:
>
>   bash-3.2$ pg_ctl stop -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>   LOG:  received smart shutdown request
>   LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
>   LOG:  shutting down
>   waiting for server to shut down....LOG:  database system is shut down
>    done
>   server stopped
>   bash-3.2$
>
>   bash-3.2$ pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>   server starting
>   bash-3.2$ LOG:  database system was shut down at 2010-09-30 20:38:47 PDT
>   LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
>   LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
>   bash-3.2$
>
>   bash-3.2$ psql canon
>   psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
>         Is the server running on host "172.16.0.151" and accepting
>         TCP/IP connections on port 6543?
>   bash-3.2$
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tena Sakai
> _tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu_

Re: I can't get postgres started.

От
Tena Sakai
Дата:
Hi Devrim,
Hi Kenichiro,

Thank you!

> Did you change the port number in postgresql.conf? Specifying
> --with-pgport only embeds port number to binaries, not to
> postgresql.conf.

In my postgresql.conf there was a line
  port = 6543
But it was commented out.  I took the # out.

> If  your listen_addresses is wrong,the same error can occur.

My listen_address was set as localhost (and also commented
out, which I decommented), but my PGHOST environment variable
was set as machine.  I fixed PGHOST as localhost.

With these two fixes it is now working.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Tena Sakai