Обсуждение: pginstaller policy?

pginstaller policy?

От
"Jan-Peter Seifert"
Дата:
Hello,

I wonder whether pginstaller is still being maintained for 8.3 and 8.2, because there are no binaries for the current
minorversions yet and because of this comment from January 10ths newsletter:

---------------------------
In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml, update Windows installation
  notes.  pginstaller isn't used anymore, in favor of the one-click
  installers.  Make it clear that we support Windows 2000 and newer
  with the native port, instead of first saying we support NT4 and
  then saying we don't.
---------------------------

The web page ( http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows ) does not say that pginstaller is suspended (yet).

It's just that - as far as I know - the clusters initialized by the one-click installer and pginstaller are
incompatiblewith each other (timestamp). So a whole pg_dump/pg_restore session for each 'pginstaller' server would be
necessaryin order to update to a newer 'one-click only' minor version ...

So ... is pginstaller dead or just delayed this time?

Could you tell me, please?

Thank you very much,

Peter

Re: pginstaller policy?

Дата:
Jan-Peter Seifert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder whether pginstaller is still being maintained for 8.3 and 8.2, because there are no binaries for the current
minorversions yet and because of this comment from January 10ths newsletter:

> ---------------------------
> In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml, update Windows installation
>   notes.  pginstaller isn't used anymore, in favor of the one-click
>   installers.  Make it clear that we support Windows 2000 and newer
>   with the native port, instead of first saying we support NT4 and
>   then saying we don't.
> ---------------------------
>
> The web page ( http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows ) does not say that pginstaller is suspended (yet).
>
> It's just that - as far as I know - the clusters initialized by the one-click installer and pginstaller are
incompatiblewith each other (timestamp). So a whole pg_dump/pg_restore session for each 'pginstaller' server would be
necessaryin order to update to a newer 'one-click only' minor version ...

> So ... is pginstaller dead or just delayed this time?
>
> Could you tell me, please?

I talked to Dave Page and it seems the pginstaller (non-bitRock) Win32
installers were _not_ moved from their beta holding area to the download
section.

They have just been moved and the URLs are now:

    ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.3.11/win32/
    ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.2.17/win32/

They will propogate to the main download pages in 24 hours.

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the problem.

Re: pginstaller policy?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 28 May 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I talked to Dave Page and it seems the pginstaller (non-bitRock) Win32
> installers were _not_ moved from their beta holding area to the download
> section.
>
> They have just been moved and the URLs are now:
>
>     ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.3.11/win32/
>     ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.2.17/win32/
>
> They will propogate to the main download pages in 24 hours.

That's odd ... wonder why v8.3 and v8.2 were overlooked ... but v8.4 was
moved?

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: pginstaller policy?

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > I talked to Dave Page and it seems the pginstaller (non-bitRock) Win32
> > installers were _not_ moved from their beta holding area to the download
> > section.
> >
> > They have just been moved and the URLs are now:
> >
> >     ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.3.11/win32/
> >     ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.2.17/win32/
> >
> > They will propogate to the main download pages in 24 hours.
>
> That's odd ... wonder why v8.3 and v8.2 were overlooked ... but v8.4 was
> moved?

No idea.   I talked to Dave Page on IM and he thought it wasn't moved.

Re: pginstaller policy?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 May 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>

>> > I talked to Dave Page and it seems the pginstaller (non-bitRock) Win32
>> > installers were _not_ moved from their beta holding area to the download
>> > section.
>> >
>> > They have just been moved and the URLs are now:
>> >
>> >     ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.3.11/win32/
>> >     ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.2.17/win32/
>> >
>> > They will propogate to the main download pages in 24 hours.
>>
>> That's odd ... wonder why v8.3 and v8.2 were overlooked ... but v8.4 was
>> moved?
>
> No idea.   I talked to Dave Page on IM and he thought it wasn't moved.

It wasn't until I did it. There are no 8.4 MSI installers to be moved.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: pginstaller policy?

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Дата:
Am 28.05.2010 19:57, schrieb Dave Page:

> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> On Fri, 28 May 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> No idea.   I talked to Dave Page on IM and he thought it wasn't moved.
>
> It wasn't until I did it. There are no 8.4 MSI installers to be moved.

Thank you very much. :)

Peter