Обсуждение: advanced backup tool

advanced backup tool

От
Anj Adu
Дата:
Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental  backup tool
like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving requires many
frequent full backups (especially for large databases) as the replay
of a large number of WAL files will take a very long time. We have a
few databases each over 1Tb and are looking for effective
backup/recovery strategies.  (Currently..we rely on specific partition
backups via COPY command)...but the process is cumbersome.

RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental backup a
full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.

Re: advanced backup tool

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 13:12 -0700, Anj Adu wrote:
> Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental  backup tool
> like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving requires many
> frequent full backups (especially for large databases) as the replay
> of a large number of WAL files will take a very long time. We have a
> few databases each over 1Tb and are looking for effective
> backup/recovery strategies.  (Currently..we rely on specific partition
> backups via COPY command)...but the process is cumbersome.
>
> RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental backup a
> full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.

We accept patches, donations and sponsorship opportunities :)

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: advanced backup tool

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Anj Adu <fotographs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental  backup
> tool like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving
> requires many frequent full backups (especially for large
> databases) as the replay of a large number of WAL files will take
> a very long time. We have a few databases each over 1Tb and are
> looking for effective backup/recovery strategies.  (Currently..we
> rely on specific partition backups via COPY command)...but the
> process is cumbersome.
>
> RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental
> backup a full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.

I don't know how well this will fit, but we crafted our own solution
for similar issues with a few simple bash scripts.  The approach is
described prospectively here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-03/msg00233.php

with a follow-up here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-07/msg00071.php

I hope that is helpful.

-Kevin

Re: advanced backup tool

Anj Adu wrote:
> Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental  backup tool
> like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving requires many
> frequent full backups (especially for large databases) as the replay
> of a large number of WAL files will take a very long time. We have a
> few databases each over 1Tb and are looking for effective
> backup/recovery strategies.  (Currently..we rely on specific partition
> backups via COPY command)...but the process is cumbersome.
>
> RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental backup a
> full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.

Sure, look at pg-rman:

    http://code.google.com/p/pg-rman/

Re: advanced backup tool

От
Anj Adu
Дата:
Thanks for the suggestions.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Anj Adu wrote:
>> Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental  backup tool
>> like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving requires many
>> frequent full backups (especially for large databases) as the replay
>> of a large number of WAL files will take a very long time. We have a
>> few databases each over 1Tb and are looking for effective
>> backup/recovery strategies.  (Currently..we rely on specific partition
>> backups via COPY command)...but the process is cumbersome.
>>
>> RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental backup a
>> full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.
>
> Sure, look at pg-rman:
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pg-rman/
>
> --
>  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us