Обсуждение: Just wanted to say thanks for a great tool

Just wanted to say thanks for a great tool

От
"Campbell, Lance"

My department at the University of Illinois has been using PostgreSQL for seven years.  We generate around 2 to 4 million pages of dynamic web content each month through a single PostgreSQL database.  Two weeks ago we upgraded from PostgreSQL 8.2 to 8.4.  It is running great.  As a software architect I know that many times you only hear about the issues or complaints people have.  I just wanted to let you know that your team is doing a great job.

Thanks again for making PostgreSQL such a wonderful product.

Lance Campbell
Project Manager/Software Architect/DBA
Web Services at Public Affairs
217-333-0382

Re: Just wanted to say thanks for a great tool

От
Brian Modra
Дата:
I also would like to thank the PostgreSQL developers. I've been using
it for the last 3 years as the database for a vehicle tracking system.
It never fails, its easy to use, and its efficient.
I'm also using it for my open source project "The Karoo Project" as
the database.
Brian

--
Brian Modra   Land line: +27 23 5411 462
Mobile: +27 79 69 77 082

Re: Just wanted to say thanks for a great tool

От
Mary Anderson
Дата:
Me too.  we have been using PostreSQL for three years now in the
demography department at UC Berkeley.  It is great.  My specs from my
academic boss were roughly "Put all conceivable demographic data from
any source into this data base" -- which lead to an ingeniously complex
schema which could not have been implemented five or ten years ago.
Postgres has the power to handle it.   But we did have one database
crash during those three years.

Mary

Brian Modra wrote:
> I also would like to thank the PostgreSQL developers. I've been using
> it for the last 3 years as the database for a vehicle tracking system.
> It never fails, its easy to use, and its efficient.
> I'm also using it for my open source project "The Karoo Project" as
> the database.
> Brian
>
> 2009/11/19 Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu>:
>
>> My department at the University of Illinois has been using PostgreSQL for
>> seven years.  We generate around 2 to 4 million pages of dynamic web content
>> each month through a single PostgreSQL database.  Two weeks ago we upgraded
>> from PostgreSQL 8.2 to 8.4.  It is running great.  As a software architect I
>> know that many times you only hear about the issues or complaints people
>> have.  I just wanted to let you know that your team is doing a great job.
>>
>> Thanks again for making PostgreSQL such a wonderful product.
>>
>> Lance Campbell
>> Project Manager/Software Architect/DBA
>> Web Services at Public Affairs
>> 217-333-0382

Re: Just wanted to say thanks for a great tool

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
So if you have a success-story, consider contributing for the benefit of
the project as a case-study, success-story, etc. For ideas/examples, see:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/
http://www.postgresql.org/about/users
http://www.postgresql.org/about/quotesarchive

Some of those pages have either a contact or submit-story link. There is
also a separate "advocacy" mailing list.

Cheers,
Steve

Mary Anderson wrote:
> Me too.  we have been using PostreSQL for three years now in the
> demography department at UC Berkeley.  It is great.  My specs from my
> academic boss were roughly "Put all conceivable demographic data from
> any source into this data base" -- which lead to an ingeniously
> complex schema which could not have been implemented five or ten years
> ago.  Postgres has the power to handle it.   But we did have one
> database crash during those three years.
>
> Mary
>

> Brian Modra wrote:
>> I also would like to thank the PostgreSQL developers. I've been using
>> it for the last 3 years as the database for a vehicle tracking system.
>> It never fails, its easy to use, and its efficient.
>> I'm also using it for my open source project "The Karoo Project" as
>> the database.
>> Brian
>>
>> 2009/11/19 Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu>:
>>
>>> My department at the University of Illinois has been using
>>> PostgreSQL for
>>> seven years.  We generate around 2 to 4 million pages of dynamic web
>>> content
>>> each month through a single PostgreSQL database.  Two weeks ago we
>>> upgraded
>>> from PostgreSQL 8.2 to 8.4.  It is running great.  As a software
>>> architect I
>>> know that many times you only hear about the issues or complaints
>>> people
>>> have.  I just wanted to let you know that your team is doing a great
>>> job.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for making PostgreSQL such a wonderful product.
>>>
>>> Lance Campbell
>>> Project Manager/Software Architect/DBA
>>> Web Services at Public Affairs
>>> 217-333-0382

Re: Just wanted to say thanks for a great tool

От
Brian Modra
Дата:
Please excuse me if my posting is off-topic, but this is at least
closely related to this email thread.

See below...

2009/11/20 Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>:
> So if you have a success-story, consider contributing for the benefit of the
> project as a case-study, success-story, etc. For ideas/examples, see:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/users
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/quotesarchive
>
> Some of those pages have either a contact or submit-story link. There is
> also a separate "advocacy" mailing list.

I looked at those lists, but it seems you need to be "someone" to get
your quote or comment included, which would not allow me to post
anything, as a small company.

I have created an open source project that uses PostgreSQL as its
database, and I think this qualifies as a "case study", or as
"supporting PostgreSQL", more concrete than writing an email of
thanks. But I am thankful, and also I'd like to put something back, in
the form of my oopen source, which I'd like to advertise somehow to
the PostgreSQL users. I joined the psql-announce list, and tried to
email them, but my posting got filtered out and discarded. I emailed
the owner, but got no reply.

How do I advertise my project which uses PostgreSQL ?