Обсуждение: Move postmater.pid completly

Move postmater.pid completly

От
wolfgang.graf@ksb.com

Hello,

is there a way to move the postmaster.pid file
completely out of the PGDATA directory ?

Setting the external_pid_file option in postgres.conf would only
create a second file.

Background: we would like to start a postmaster instance on a readonly
directory
 to enable a server for readonly operations (SELECT) only.

Wolfgang Graf

KSB Group

Re: Move postmater.pid completly

Дата:
wolfgang.graf@ksb.com writes:
> is there a way to move the postmaster.pid file
> completely out of the PGDATA directory ?

No, and it's unlikely to be seriously considered, because of the
enormously increased risk of starting two postmasters in the
same directory.  All it would take is for them to have different
ideas of where the lock file is.

> Background: we would like to start a postmaster instance on a readonly
> directory to enable a server for readonly operations (SELECT) only.

That won't ever work; the pid file is just the tip of the iceberg.

            regards, tom lane