Обсуждение: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

От
Rickard Sjöström
Дата:
Hi!
I have PostgreSQL 7.4 DBM and want to upgrade to 8.2 (latest in version 8 I quess).

Can use the DATADIR from 7.4 and just upgrade the DBM/postgresql server to 8.2?

Is the upgrade from 7 to 8 procedure written down somewhere? (could not find anyting at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.2,except from 6 to 7)

I guess I could dump all my data and restore it later but it would be much nicer if it was possible to just start a new
PostgreSQLserver with the old DATADIR repository!

Thanks!

/Rick

Diamond Ring Auctions at Bidz!
Engagement rings auctioned daily. Every 5 seconds, starting at $1!
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/BgLEQfJCfpRhST38x1THooDD28i6CkYTg1zn/

Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

От
Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de
Дата:
Hi Rickard!

As far as i know you will have to dump and restore the databases for the
upgrade since a lot of internals have been changed from 7.4 to 8.2.
A description on how to upgrade can be found here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-upgrading.html
And here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/migration.html

Good luck!

Greetings,
Matthias

Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah"
Дата:
Dear Rickard,

The jump from 7.4 to 8.2 is rather big.
I would suggest doing just a dry run by  dumping
the database schema without data and restoring it
into 8.2 database . this can be time saving in detecting
possible problems in migration.

in case there is some non trivial problem
you may take intermediate path of upgrading
7.4-->8.0.x-->8.1.x -->8.2.0
where x denotes the last minor release of a major
release.

regds
mallah.

On 12/19/06, Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de <Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de> wrote:
> Hi Rickard!
>
> As far as i know you will have to dump and restore the databases for the
> upgrade since a lot of internals have been changed from 7.4 to 8.2.
> A description on how to upgrade can be found here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-upgrading.html
> And here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/migration.html
>
> Good luck!
>
> Greetings,
> Matthias

Дата:
Hi!
Thanks for your replies!

My problem is that I want to move the DBM to a different machine so now when it doesn't seem to be any easy/trivial way
tomigrate from 7.4 to 8.2 I might consider to continue with 7.4.

If I decide to continue with 7.4 I guess the procedure to move the DATADIR to the new machine and then start the
postgresqlserver there with the old DATADIR should work without problems?

Thanks, again!

/Rickard

Citerar Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah.rajesh@gmail.com>:

> Dear Rickard,
>
> The jump from 7.4 to 8.2 is rather big.
> I would suggest doing just a dry run by  dumping
> the database schema without data and restoring it
> into 8.2 database . this can be time saving in detecting
> possible problems in migration.
>
> in case there is some non trivial problem
> you may take intermediate path of upgrading
> 7.4-->8.0.x-->8.1.x -->8.2.0
> where x denotes the last minor release of a major
> release.
>
> regds
> mallah.
>

> On 12/19/06, Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de <Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de> wrote:
> > Hi Rickard!
> >
> > As far as i know you will have to dump and restore the databases
> for the
> > upgrade since a lot of internals have been changed from 7.4 to
> 8.2.
> > A description on how to upgrade can be found here:
> >
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-upgrading.html
> > And here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/migration.html
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Matthias

Free Debt Consolidation Quote
FCCC offers free counseling & debt consolidation quote. No setup fee!
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/BgLEQfI7q8COE6YTwzNhNIsdKPTGDJaJS3gO/

Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah"
Дата:
On 12/19/06, Rickard Sjöström <rickard.sjostrom@bluebottle.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> Thanks for your replies!
>
> My problem is that I want to move the DBM to a different machine so now when it >doesn't seem to be any easy/trivial
wayto migrate from 7.4 to 8.2 I might >consider to continue with 7.4.

It was not my intention to scare you. Please do not misread.
It is always recommended to run the latest version of pgsql
unless you really have to stick to an older version.
Release notes shall tell you about the new features that
you get in various versions. Newer versions almost always have better
planner and numerous performance improvements.

> If I decide to continue with 7.4 I guess the procedure to move the DATADIR to the new machine and then start the
postgresqlserver there with the old DATADIR should work without problems?

Yes that is rite.

> Thanks, again!
>
> /Rickard
>
> Citerar Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah.rajesh@gmail.com>:

Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
Very easy,

Install the new version of PostgreSQL on your new machine.  Then use the new machine's install to pg_dump the old machine's database and load it into the new machine (obviously, the machines must be table to talk to each other over the network).  Very easy.  That is how I upgraded all of my servers from 7.3.4 to 8.1.3. (An upgrade that went very smoothly with no hiccups.)

HTH,

Chris

On 12/19/06, Rickard Sjöström < rickard.sjostrom@bluebottle.com> wrote:
Hi!
Thanks for your replies!

My problem is that I want to move the DBM to a different machine so now when it doesn't seem to be any easy/trivial way to migrate from 7.4 to 8.2 I might consider to continue with 7.4.

If I decide to continue with 7.4 I guess the procedure to move the DATADIR to the new machine and then start the postgresql server there with the old DATADIR should work without problems?

Thanks, again!

/Rickard

Citerar Rajesh Kumar Mallah < mallah.rajesh@gmail.com>:

> Dear Rickard,
>
> The jump from 7.4 to 8.2 is rather big.
> I would suggest doing just a dry run by  dumping
> the database schema without data and restoring it
> into 8.2 database . this can be time saving in detecting
> possible problems in migration.
>
> in case there is some non trivial problem
> you may take intermediate path of upgrading
> 7.4-->8.0.x-->8.1.x -->8.2.0
> where x denotes the last minor release of a major
> release.
>
> regds
> mallah.
>

> On 12/19/06, Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de <Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de> wrote:
> > Hi Rickard!
> >
> > As far as i know you will have to dump and restore the databases
> for the
> > upgrade since a lot of internals have been changed from 7.4 to
> 8.2.
> > A description on how to upgrade can be found here:
> >
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-upgrading.html
> > And here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/migration.html
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Matthias

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 16:40 -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:
> Very easy,
>
> Install the new version of PostgreSQL on your new machine.  Then use
> the new machine's install to pg_dump the old machine's database and
> load it into the new machine (obviously, the machines must be table to
> talk to each other over the network).  Very easy.  That is how I
> upgraded all of my servers from 7.3.4 to 8.1.3. (An upgrade that went
> very smoothly with no hiccups.)

Except that there are behavioral differences between 8.1.3 and 7.4
including how floats respond to '' input. I believe there are also
library version bumps which will likely effect him if he does not
recompile his apps because he might remove 7.4 after getting a
successful upgrade of his data just to find that PHP or Perl doesn't
work anymore.

Joshua D. Drake

> HTH,
>
> Chris
>
> On 12/19/06, Rickard Sjöström <rickard.sjostrom@bluebottle.com> wrote:
>         Hi!
>         Thanks for your replies!
>
>         My problem is that I want to move the DBM to a different
>         machine so now when it doesn't seem to be any easy/trivial way
>         to migrate from 7.4 to 8.2 I might consider to continue with
>         7.4.
>
>         If I decide to continue with 7.4 I guess the procedure to move
>         the DATADIR to the new machine and then start the postgresql
>         server there with the old DATADIR should work without
>         problems?
>
>         Thanks, again!
>
>         /Rickard
>
>         Citerar Rajesh Kumar Mallah < mallah.rajesh@gmail.com>:
>
>         > Dear Rickard,
>         >
>         > The jump from 7.4 to 8.2 is rather big.
>         > I would suggest doing just a dry run by  dumping
>         > the database schema without data and restoring it
>         > into 8.2 database . this can be time saving in detecting
>         > possible problems in migration.
>         >
>         > in case there is some non trivial problem
>         > you may take intermediate path of upgrading
>         > 7.4-->8.0.x-->8.1.x -->8.2.0
>         > where x denotes the last minor release of a major
>         > release.
>         >
>         > regds
>         > mallah.
>         >
>         >
>         > On 12/19/06, Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de <Matthias.Pitzl@izb.de>
>         wrote:
>         > > Hi Rickard!
>         > >
>         > > As far as i know you will have to dump and restore the
>         databases
>         > for the
>         > > upgrade since a lot of internals have been changed from
>         > 8.2.
>         > > A description on how to upgrade can be found here:
>         > >
>         >
>         http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-upgrading.html
>         > > And here:
>         >
>         http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/migration.html
>         > >
>         > > Good luck!
>         > >
>         > > Greetings,
>         > > Matthias
>         > >

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

От
Rickard Sjöström
Дата:
Hi!
I'm tying to compile postgresql 8.2.0 under:
SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

and got problems while compiling, the problem seems to be that gcc (or configure) adds my username (sjostric) to the
gcccommand line. Like this:

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels
-fno-strict-aliasingsjostric -I../../src/port -DFRONTEND -I../../src/include   -c -o isinf.o isinf.c

which results in that I get:
gcc: sjostric: No such file or directory

My configure command line is:
/configure --prefix=/home/sjostric/postgresql/8.2.0 --exec-prefix=/home/sjostric/postgresql/8.2.0 --without-readline

Any ideas?

Thanks!

/Rickard

Output:
---- 8< ----
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sjostric/postgresql/src/postgresql-8.2.0/src/port'
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels
-fno-strict-aliasingsjostric -I../../src/port -DFRONTEND -I../../src/include   -c -o isinf.o isinf.c
gcc: sjostric: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [isinf.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** Deleting file `isinf.o'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sjostric/postgresql/src/postgresql-8.2.0/src/port'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjostric/postgresql/src/postgresql-8.2.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sjostric/postgresql/src/postgresql-8.2.0'
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
(56)# postgresql-8.2.0/:
---- >8 ----

/Rickard

Debt Consolidation Quote Instantly
Free Debt Consolidation or Debt settlement Quote Online. No...
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/BgLEQfI7na2GDfoEzdoobqhZ7mmMke1brTUo/

Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 08:59:26 -0800,
  Rickard Sjöström <rickard.sjostrom@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> If I decide to continue with 7.4 I guess the procedure to move the DATADIR to the new machine and then start the
postgresqlserver there with the old DATADIR should work without problems?

The new machine will need to have the same architecture and Postgres will
need to have been built with the same way for each machine. Some of the
configure options affect the format of how data is stored. Different
compilers or compiler options could also change how data is stored.