Обсуждение: Checkpoint Location Format

Checkpoint Location Format

От
"Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists)"
Дата:
Hi,

I'm writing an automated file-system level backup application for use
with WAL archiving, that will issue the pg_start_backup call, tar and
gzip the cluster data directory, issue the pg_stop_backup call, and
remove all previous un-needed WAL files from the archive.

I need to write a regular expression that will search for the WAL
filename and checkpoint location from the backup_label file, and just
want to clarify that the checkpoint location will always be of the
format: X/XXXXXX - where X is one of 0-9, A-F?

And then the WAL .backup file that is generated in the archive, has a
filename of the form:

<WAL_FILE>.00XXXXXX.backup

where <WAL_FILE> is the name of the "STARTING WAL LOCATION" directive in
the backup_label file, and XXXXXX is the last 6 digits of the checkpoint
(after the / )?

Thanks,

Andy.

Re: Checkpoint Location Format

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:12:53PM +0000, Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing an automated file-system level backup application for use
> with WAL archiving, that will issue the pg_start_backup call, tar and
> gzip the cluster data directory, issue the pg_stop_backup call, and
> remove all previous un-needed WAL files from the archive.
>
> I need to write a regular expression that will search for the WAL
> filename and checkpoint location from the backup_label file, and just
> want to clarify that the checkpoint location will always be of the
> format: X/XXXXXX - where X is one of 0-9, A-F?
>
> And then the WAL .backup file that is generated in the archive, has a
> filename of the form:
>
> <WAL_FILE>.00XXXXXX.backup
>
> where <WAL_FILE> is the name of the "STARTING WAL LOCATION" directive in
> the backup_label file, and XXXXXX is the last 6 digits of the checkpoint
> (after the / )?

I don't know the answer, but since no one's replied I suggest looking in
the code. Looking at the source of pg_start_backup would probably be a
good start, though I'm guessing the real answer is somewhere in the
backend.

Re: Checkpoint Location Format

Дата:
Hi Jim,

Tom did answer actually!  (Although it was first thing in the morning
and he hadn't had any caffeine so he may have forgot to copy the list in
;) )
I forget what he said the format was now, and I haven't got his e-mail,
but I've just done a regex to match one or more characters before and
after the "/", which works.

Andy.

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:12:53PM +0000, Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm writing an automated file-system level backup application for use
>> with WAL archiving, that will issue the pg_start_backup call, tar and
>> gzip the cluster data directory, issue the pg_stop_backup call, and
>> remove all previous un-needed WAL files from the archive.
>>
>> I need to write a regular expression that will search for the WAL
>> filename and checkpoint location from the backup_label file, and just
>> want to clarify that the checkpoint location will always be of the
>> format: X/XXXXXX - where X is one of 0-9, A-F?
>>
>> And then the WAL .backup file that is generated in the archive, has a
>> filename of the form:
>>
>> <WAL_FILE>.00XXXXXX.backup
>>
>> where <WAL_FILE> is the name of the "STARTING WAL LOCATION" directive in
>> the backup_label file, and XXXXXX is the last 6 digits of the checkpoint
>> (after the / )?
>>

> I don't know the answer, but since no one's replied I suggest looking in
> the code. Looking at the source of pg_start_backup would probably be a
> good start, though I'm guessing the real answer is somewhere in the
> backend.

Re: Checkpoint Location Format

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 13:12 +0000, Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:

> I'm writing an automated file-system level backup application for use
> with WAL archiving, that will issue the pg_start_backup call, tar and
> gzip the cluster data directory, issue the pg_stop_backup call, and
> remove all previous un-needed WAL files from the archive.

Is this any help?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-05/msg00229.php

If so, I'll see about updating it so it can get backpatched to 8.0 and
8.1 also.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: Checkpoint Location Format

От
"Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists)"
Дата:
Yup that sounds useful - would this be another column added to the
pg_stop_backup called "wal_filename" or similar?
My script uses this name to find the date/time of the current ".backup"
file and remove any files earlier than it (except obviously the one
listed in the START WAL LOCATION).
I've yet to run a restore test, but the backup and automatic archive
clearout is working nicely.

I'm not too worried about the SQL function to find the current WAL file,
although I can see this could be useful too.

Thanks,

Andy.

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834