Обсуждение: New to PostgreSQL

New to PostgreSQL

От
"Mark Steben"

Good afternoon,

I am a database administrator who has worked with mainframe DB2 databases for 16 years.  I am brand new to PostgreSQL.  I just started a new job where

I am the only DBA in the company and am expected to ramp up as soon as possible.  Are there any courses available to me - either self-taught or

Classroom - that could provide me with a broad-brush introduction?  Right now my main resource is the PostgreSQL - The Comprehensive Guide,

By Korry and Susan Douglas - a very good reference that I am using as I tackle specific tasks.  I think a good overview would help me as I basically

Self-educate.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you through your mailing list.

Mark Steben

AutoRevenue

Lee, Massachusetts

MSteben@autorevenue.com

Re: New to PostgreSQL

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
Another very good resource is the PostgreSQL documentation itself --> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/index.html

Thanks,
-------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

[...]

Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
Στις Τετάρτη 01 Νοέμβριος 2006 21:39, ο/η Mark Steben έγραψε:
> Good afternoon,
>

> I am a database administrator who has worked with mainframe DB2 databases
> for 16 years.  I am brand new to PostgreSQL.  I just started a new job
> where

Welcome to postgresql camp!
i was MVS, os/390,... "sysprog" myself for 4 years (until i realized that i
had to return to the real thing (unix) asap, so i left the job in the bank).

I think, apart from postgresql you gotta get familiar with the linux/*bsd/unix
concepts as well, as sometimes performance has to do with OS tuning too.

Features/concepts wise, i dont think you'll face big problems, since
you are coming from a rich rdbms.

--
Achilleas Mantzios

Re: New to PostgreSQL

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:13:24AM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> I think, apart from postgresql you gotta get familiar with the linux/*bsd/unix
> concepts as well, as sometimes performance has to do with OS tuning too.

Let me echo that, because it's extremely important: when I was in
charge of hiring people to work on our databases, I was very
concerned not to get the sort of people who felt that the system was
"the sysadmin's problem".  You _cannot_ treat the operating system as
not your problem when addressing performance questions in PostgreSQL.
This is a very unfamiliar situation to most Oracle and some DB2
administrators, in my experience.  The good ones, of course, have no
problem catching on; the bad ones never deserved the name DBA anyway
;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
        --Damien Katz

Re: New to PostgreSQL

От
"Tomeh, Husam"
Дата:
The docs is definitely a great and easy to read resource. If you're looking for a class, you can check out the OTG group:
An online Postgres book (practical postgresql) can also be found at http://www.faqs.org/docs/ppbook/book1.htm
For other useful related URLs, check out, http://firstdba.googlepages.com/rdbmsportal-postgresqlpage

--
  Husam

I am a database administrator who has worked with mainframe DB2 databases for 16 years.  I am brand new to PostgreSQL.  I just started a new job where

I am the only DBA in the company and am expected to ramp up as soon as possible.  Are there any courses available to me - either self-taught or

Classroom - that could provide me with a broad-brush introduction?  Right now my main resource is the PostgreSQL - The Comprehensive Guide,

By Korry and Susan Douglas - a very good reference that I am using as I tackle specific tasks.  I think a good overview would help me as I basically

Self-educate.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you through your mailing list.

Mark Steben

AutoRevenue

Lee, Massachusetts

MSteben@autorevenue.com

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.

                                                                                                                         FADLD Tag