Обсуждение: How to convert a string to bytea?

How to convert a string to bytea?

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
I am in need of some help.  I need to use the encode function against a text string in one of my pg/plsql functions.  However, the encode function expects a bytea field to be passed to it.  How do I convert my text string into a bytea?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: How to convert a string to bytea?

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
Sorry, this was supposed to go to the -general list.

I am in need of some help.  I need to use the encode function against a text string in one of my pg/plsql functions.  However, the encode function expects a bytea field to be passed to it.  How do I convert my text string into a bytea?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: How to convert a string to bytea?

От
"Markus Wollny"
Дата:
On 8/30/06, Chris Hoover <revoohc@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am in need of some help.  I need to use the encode function
> against a text string in one of my pg/plsql functions.
> However, the encode function expects a bytea field to be
> passed to it.  How do I convert my text string into a bytea?

I use two simple plpgsql functions to convert strings to and from bytea:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION text2bytea(text)
  RETURNS bytea AS
$BODY$
begin
 return $1;
end;
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

and

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bytea2text(bytea)
  RETURNS text AS
$BODY$
begin
 return $1;