Обсуждение: 8.0 install via fink on OS X, now what?

8.0 install via fink on OS X, now what?

От
"Mitch Pirtle"
Дата:
Hi gang,

Now finally getting comfortable on the new PowerBook, and after weeks
of whining about no OS X packages I discovered the fink binaries,
which I dutifully installed last night.

However I have no idea where I am in the install process afterwards,
as there is no 'postgres' user and such - and in fact cannot start the
database with pg_ctl.

Is there a place where I can read about the fink-specific vagaries of
this distribution?

-- Mitch

Re: 8.0 install via fink on OS X, now what?

От
Guido Neitzer
Дата:
On 29.05.2006, at 19:56 Uhr, Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> Now finally getting comfortable on the new PowerBook, and after weeks
> of whining about no OS X packages I discovered the fink binaries,
> which I dutifully installed last night.

Bad idea. They are normally old, install in stupid locations, are not
very well documented on what, how and where they install.

It is better (and easy enough) to install from source. Only thing you
need are the Xcode Tools from Apple. If you really need a package,
send me a mail, I have a package somewhere (8.1.3) or I can build a
8.1.4 installer package.

A very good installation tutorial is here:

http://home.exetel.com.au/lachlandeck/blog/?p=7

cug

Re: 8.0 install via fink on OS X, now what?

От
Peter Kovacs
Дата:
Are there any known issues related to compiling for OS X on Intel?

Thanks

Peter

Guido Neitzer wrote:
> On 29.05.2006, at 19:56 Uhr, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
>
>> Now finally getting comfortable on the new PowerBook, and after weeks
>> of whining about no OS X packages I discovered the fink binaries,
>> which I dutifully installed last night.
>
> Bad idea. They are normally old, install in stupid locations, are not
> very well documented on what, how and where they install.
>
> It is better (and easy enough) to install from source. Only thing you
> need are the Xcode Tools from Apple. If you really need a package,
> send me a mail, I have a package somewhere (8.1.3) or I can build a
> 8.1.4 installer package.
>
> A very good installation tutorial is here:
>
> http://home.exetel.com.au/lachlandeck/blog/?p=7
>
> cug

Re: 8.0 install via fink on OS X, now what?

От
Brendan Duddridge
Дата:
None. Using postgresql 8.1.3 on my Intel MacBook right now. Works great.

Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 |  brendan@clickspace.com

ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE
Calgary, AB  T2G 0V9

http://www.clickspace.com

On May 29, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Are there any known issues related to compiling for OS X on Intel?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
> Guido Neitzer wrote:
>> On 29.05.2006, at 19:56 Uhr, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
>>
>>> Now finally getting comfortable on the new PowerBook, and after
>>> weeks
>>> of whining about no OS X packages I discovered the fink binaries,
>>> which I dutifully installed last night.
>>
>> Bad idea. They are normally old, install in stupid locations, are
>> not very well documented on what, how and where they install.
>>
>> It is better (and easy enough) to install from source. Only thing
>> you need are the Xcode Tools from Apple. If you really need a
>> package, send me a mail, I have a package somewhere (8.1.3) or I
>> can build a 8.1.4 installer package.
>>
>> A very good installation tutorial is here:
>>
>> http://home.exetel.com.au/lachlandeck/blog/?p=7
>>
>> cug

Re: 8.0 install via fink on OS X, now what?

От
Guido Neitzer
Дата:
On 29.05.2006, at 22:27 Uhr, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Are there any known issues related to compiling for OS X on Intel?

No issues I know about. But I have only build it once on our test
MacBook Pro.

cug