Обсуждение: Can I delete all WAL logfiles if the database is shutdown without errors?

Can I delete all WAL logfiles if the database is shutdown without errors?

От
"Joost Kraaijeveld"
Дата:
Hi,

Can I safely delete all the WAL log files in PGDATA/pg_xlog directory if the database has been shut down correctly,
becauseI lowered the number of logfiles in postgresql.conf?

Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: Can I delete all WAL logfiles if the database is shutdown without errors?

Дата:
"Joost Kraaijeveld" <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> writes:
> Can I safely delete all the WAL log files in PGDATA/pg_xlog directory if the database has been shut down correctly,
becauseI lowered the number of logfiles in postgresql.conf?

All but the one holding the latest checkpoint record (pg_controldata
will tell you which one that is).  I'm not sure why you'd bother though.
The next checkpoint should remove any excess log files, there's no need
to do it manually.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Can I delete all WAL logfiles if the database is

От
Joost Kraaijeveld
Дата:
Hi Tom,

> "Joost Kraaijeveld" <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> writes:
> > Can I safely delete all the WAL log files in PGDATA/pg_xlog directory if the database has been shut down correctly,
becauseI lowered the number of logfiles in postgresql.conf?

> All but the one holding the latest checkpoint record (pg_controldata
> will tell you which one that is).  I'm not sure why you'd bother though.
> The next checkpoint should remove any excess log files, there's no need
> to do it manually.
Ah, I did not know that. I will wait and do nothing.

Thanks