Обсуждение: binary data types and streaming

binary data types and streaming

От
David Durham
Дата:
Hi-

I'm looking for information about storing binary data in postgres.  I've
set up a few tests where in I stored bytea data, but I have a few other
questions and I'm wondering if postgres will meet my needs.  Just to
start off, here's a couple of questions:

    What are the differences between using the bytea type and the BLOB
type?

    Is there any type of streaming support built into postgres' binary
datatype handling?  For instance, can I specify a beginning offset for
the binary data that I want>

I didn't see a whole lot of information about this topic in the postgres
8.1 manual.  Can anyone point me to documentation on this subject or
refer me to a book?  Thanks,

Dave

Re: binary data types and streaming

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
David Durham wrote:
>     What are the differences between using the bytea type and the
> BLOB type?

The bytea type exists, the blob type does not.

>     Is there any type of streaming support built into postgres'
> binary datatype handling?  For instance, can I specify a beginning
> offset for the binary data that I want>

substring and other such functions are available.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: binary data types and streaming

От
David Durham
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>    Is there any type of streaming support built into postgres'
>>binary datatype handling?  For instance, can I specify a beginning
>>offset for the binary data that I want
>
> substring and other such functions are available.

Thanks.  I didn't realize that string functions could be used on bytea
columns.

-Dave

Re: binary data types and streaming

От
Dennis Wagner
Дата:
Hi David!

If you need streaming access to binary data use PostgreSQL's "large
objects". They provide what you might want.

Greets

Dennis