Обсуждение: Upgrading O/S requires Postgres re-build?

Upgrading O/S requires Postgres re-build?

От
"Tomeh, Husam"
Дата:
Server running Postgres 7.4.5 with:

  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3.90 (Nahant)
  Linux  2.6.9-1.648_ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Oct 26 12:24:18 EDT 2004 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I want to upgrade the O/S to:

  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant)
  Linux 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:29:47 EST 2005 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

If I upgrade the O/S to the release stated above, do I need to
re-install and build Postgres 7.4.5?

Thanks,

----

    Husam

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and may
containinformation that is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering
itto the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is
strictlyprohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the
messageand delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.

                                   FADLD Tag

Re: Upgrading O/S requires Postgres re-build?

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
htomeh@firstam.com ("Tomeh, Husam") writes:
> Server running Postgres 7.4.5 with:
>
>   Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3.90 (Nahant)
>   Linux  2.6.9-1.648_ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Oct 26 12:24:18 EDT 2004 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I want to upgrade the O/S to:
>
>   Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant)
>   Linux 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:29:47 EST 2005 x86_64 x86_64
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> If I upgrade the O/S to the release stated above, do I need to
> re-install and build Postgres 7.4.5?

A kernel change shouldn't normally have any impact on whether
PostgreSQL would need to be recompiled or not.

If all of the libraries that PostgreSQL uses are binary compatible
between the two Linux *distribution* releases, then there oughtn't be
need to recompile PostgreSQL.  And it is reasonably plausible that
that would be the case.

I'd expect the same PostgreSQL binaries to work; I actually found that
RHAT-compiled 32 bit binaries worked on SuSE running on AMD64, which
seemed quite remarkable.

But I'd be inclined to take a backup before the upgrade just in case
any surprises presented themselves...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/nonrdbms.html