Обсуждение: upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0

upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0

От
"Dan The Man"
Дата:
Hi,
I have enough resources on my 3 postgresql servers to run more than one
instance of postgres.  Is there a way to keep my production db up and
running in 8.0.3 while I also run 8.1.0 on the same server?   Then, I could
copy the data and support two databases until things looked good.  Then, I'd
shutdown 8.0.3.

Thanks,
~DjK

Re: upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0

От
Moises Alberto Lindo Gutarra
Дата:
you only need make postgres 8.1.0 run using another port, example 5438

2005/11/8, Dan The Man <bitsandbytes88@hotmail.com>:
> Hi,
> I have enough resources on my 3 postgresql servers to run more than one
> instance of postgres.  Is there a way to keep my production db up and
> running in 8.0.3 while I also run 8.1.0 on the same server?   Then, I could
> copy the data and support two databases until things looked good.  Then, I'd
> shutdown 8.0.3.
>
> Thanks,
> ~DjK

Atte

Moises Alberto Lindo Gutarra
Consultor y Desarrollador Java / Open Source
TUMI Solutions SAC
Tel: +51.13481104
Cel: +51.197366260
MSN : mlindo@tumisolutions.com

Re: upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
Dan,

Sure, just bring it up in a different directory and have it listen on a
different port.  You could either dump/restore to get the data over to it or
use a replication tool such as slony or mammoth to do the deed.  The latter
method has the benefit of keeping it up to date while you poke around if you
have a database which gets written to during your switchover time.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/

Re: upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0

От
Rafael Martinez Guerrero
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 18:23, Moises Alberto Lindo Gutarra wrote:
> you only need make postgres 8.1.0 run using another port, example 5438

Or another IP/address (listen_addresses) and the same port 5432. ;)

--
Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Вложения

Re: upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0

Дата:
Rafael Martinez Guerrero <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no> writes:
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 18:23, Moises Alberto Lindo Gutarra wrote:
>> you only need make postgres 8.1.0 run using another port, example 5438

> Or another IP/address (listen_addresses) and the same port 5432. ;)

No, because both postmasters will try to open /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 ...

You could maybe make the same-port trick work if you chroot one or both
postmasters, or relocate the socket directory to someplace besides /tmp,
but either of those approaches will make life difficult for clients
trying to make local non-TCP connections.  On the whole, separate port
number is the path of least resistance in almost all cases.

            regards, tom lane

Re: upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.0

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> instance of postgres.  Is there a way to keep my production db up and
> running in 8.0.3 while I also run 8.1.0 on the same server?   Then, I could

Yes. There is a way. You have to specify another location and
port for 8.1.0.

Luf