Обсуждение: pgAdmin guru hints

pgAdmin guru hints

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
In-time for PostgreSQL 8.1 gold, The pgAdmin Developer Team will release
pgAdmin III V1.4, which has a new Guru hint feature that tries to give
users helpful hints on typical beginner's pitfalls.

The current set of hints is at
http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/hints/

You're invited to make your comments on the hints: are these correct, is
there something missing or misleading?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: [HACKERS] pgAdmin guru hints

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 02:16:37AM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> In-time for PostgreSQL 8.1 gold, The pgAdmin Developer Team will
> release pgAdmin III V1.4, which has a new Guru hint feature that
> tries to give users helpful hints on typical beginner's pitfalls.
>
> The current set of hints is at
> http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/hints/
>
> You're invited to make your comments on the hints: are these
> correct, is there something missing or misleading?

Dunno if this is handled yet, but in the previous version, changes
disallowed by a RULE showed up as though they had happened.  Is this
fixed in 1.4-to-be?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] pgAdmin guru hints

От
Bastiaan Wakkie
Дата:
I noticed a typo in hints/conn-hba.html

The second internal ip adres missed a '.'

--
^(B(astia{2}n)?)(\s)?(W(ak{2}ie)?)$

Replaying archived wal files after a dump restore?

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
Is it at all possible to manually replay archived WAL files after restoring
from a pg_dump dumpfile?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/

Re: Replaying archived wal files after a dump restore?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
Please don't reply to existing threads to start new ones. That is probably why
your message didn't get any replies.

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:25:25 -0700,
  Jeff Frost <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com> wrote:
> Is it at all possible to manually replay archived WAL files after restoring
> from a pg_dump dumpfile?

You probably want to look at:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/backup-online.html

That is from the soon to be released 8.1 documentation. PITR is available
in 8.0, but I believe there were enhancements made to the tools for using
it in 8.1.

Re: Replaying archived wal files after a dump restore?

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> Please don't reply to existing threads to start new ones. That is probably why
> your message didn't get any replies.

Point taken, but fortunately, Simon got back to me and essentially indicated
that I was out of luck.

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:25:25 -0700,
>  Jeff Frost <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com> wrote:
>> Is it at all possible to manually replay archived WAL files after restoring
>> from a pg_dump dumpfile?
>
> You probably want to look at:
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/backup-online.html
>
> That is from the soon to be released 8.1 documentation. PITR is available
> in 8.0, but I believe there were enhancements made to the tools for using
> it in 8.1.

Unfortunately, diffing the 8.0.4 docs against the 8.1 docs shows almost no
useful differences.  I was mostly hoping someone with knowledge of the WAL
internal format could tell me how to extract the transactions from some and
manually replay them in the db via psql with lots of copy/paste action.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/
Phone: 650-780-7908    FAX: 650-649-1954

Re: Replaying archived wal files after a dump restore?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:

> Unfortunately, diffing the 8.0.4 docs against the 8.1 docs shows almost no
> useful differences.  I was mostly hoping someone with knowledge of the WAL
> internal format could tell me how to extract the transactions from some and
> manually replay them in the db via psql with lots of copy/paste action.

Oh, so the data in the log must be very valuable to you.  I guess you
could extract the data if you processed the WAL logs.  A tool to do this
doesn't exist as far as I know, but you could write your own.  There was
a crude hack by Tom Lane, which you can find on the archives: