Обсуждение: problems with pgadmin 3

problems with pgadmin 3

От
jose fuenmayor
Дата:
Hi good afternoon everyone, my name is Jose Antonio Fuenmayor Nava, I
am Venezuelan, I work as a Systems Analist in Reingenieria y Sistemas
C.A, that´s a company that operates in Maracaibo, Venezuela, this
company manages huges amounts of data, yesterday i was trying Pgadmin
3, I performed the following sql instruction

select * from  table_name

this table has 10 777 893 registers on it (13 fields), with no indexes
just to try the performance of PostgreSql and pgAdmin 3 and evaluate
the behavior of this aplications, I have postgresql database server
installed and pgadmin 3 on a machine running Mandrake Linux 10.1,
Pgadmin 3 performed the consult but in the moment of bringing the data
to the grid it seems to collapse and it just shut down (not the
database server, but PgAdmin 3), now my question is:

  is this normal?

 I´ve installed pgadmin 3 from a rpm.

I really apreciate it if you can help me in any way, the company that
i work for is really interested in migrate the database from Informix
to PostgreSql, and from Windows/Unix OpenServer 5 to GNU/Linux, but
for now we are just testing.

We are about to fill a table with 177 000 000 of registers and play
with it just to see the performance.

All yours
                                    Jose Antonio  Fuenmayor Nava
                                           Systems Analist