Обсуждение: can be database files be copied using 'cp' between hosts with different endianess?

can be database files be copied using 'cp' between hosts with different endianess?

От
Vlad Harchev
Дата:
Hello,

I have a quesion - suppose I have sparc box and x86 box running same
release of postgresql compiled with same options. Can I simply copy database
directory between hosts (of course when postgresql server is stopped on both
boxes)?

BTW Mysql (MyISAM) and sqlite allow this.

Thanks for your answer in advance!
--
 Best regards,
  -Vlad

Re: can be database files be copied using 'cp' between hosts with different endianess?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Vlad Harchev wrote:
> I have a quesion - suppose I have sparc box and x86 box running same
> release of postgresql compiled with same options. Can I simply copy
> database directory between hosts (of course when postgresql server is
> stopped on both boxes)?

Absolutely not.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: can be database files be copied using 'cp' between hosts with different endianess?

От
Vlad Harchev
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 08:42:19PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > I have a quesion - suppose I have sparc box and x86 box running same
> > release of postgresql compiled with same options. Can I simply copy
> > database directory between hosts (of course when postgresql server is
> > stopped on both boxes)?
>
> Absolutely not.

That's a pity..
Thanks for your answer!

--
 Best regards,
  -Vlad

Re: can be database files be copied using 'cp' between hosts with

От
William Yu
Дата:
I've been able to do Solaris x86 -> Linux x86 copies. But I'm pretty
sure Sparc & x86 are not compatible endian-wise so hence the data is not
stored the same. Other attempts that have failed -- Linux x86 32bit -->
Linux x86_64.