Обсуждение: "template1 does not exist" while installing 8.0RC5 on RH9

"template1 does not exist" while installing 8.0RC5 on RH9

От
"Rick Schumeyer"

I’m trying to install 8.0RC5 from source on a RedHat9 system.

I’m following the directions from the INSTALL file.

Everything looks good, even the “initdb” command, which reports

everything as ok.

But the “createdb test” command fails, with error

‘database “template1” does not exist’

I’m not sure where I went wrong.

Re: "template1 does not exist" while installing 8.0RC5 on RH9

Дата:
"Rick Schumeyer" <rschumeyer@ieee.org> writes:
> Everything looks good, even the "initdb" command, which reports
> everything as ok.

> But the "createdb test" command fails, with error
> 'database "template1" does not exist'

initdb executes half a dozen reconnections to template1 after the
initial bootstrap, so it's real hard to see how a broken pg_database
entry wouldn't have caused a failure during initdb.  I'm wondering
if maybe your createdb command is connecting to a different postmaster
than you think it is.  Check environment variables, path, etc.

            regards, tom lane

Re: "template1 does not exist" while installing 8.0RC5 on RH9

От
"Rick Schumeyer"
Дата:
(red face) It seems I might possibly have neglected to kill the
postmaster from 7.4 before installing 8.0.

It is amazing how much better things work with the 8.0 postmaster.

> Everything looks good, even the "initdb" command, which reports
> everything as ok.

> But the "createdb test" command fails, with error
> 'database "template1" does not exist'

initdb executes half a dozen reconnections to template1 after the
initial bootstrap, so it's real hard to see how a broken pg_database
entry wouldn't have caused a failure during initdb.  I'm wondering
if maybe your createdb command is connecting to a different postmaster
than you think it is.  Check environment variables, path, etc.

            regards, tom lane

Re: "template1 does not exist" while installing 8.0RC5 on RH9

Дата:
"Rick Schumeyer" <rschumeyer@ieee.org> writes:
> (red face) It seems I might possibly have neglected to kill the
> postmaster from 7.4 before installing 8.0.

Ooops ;-).  If you didn't already, I'd suggest wiping and re-initdb'ing
the PGDATA area.  It's possible that the 7.4 postmaster corrupted things
before you killed it.

            regards, tom lane