Обсуждение: data not getting inserted into table

data not getting inserted into table

От
akanksha kulkarni
Дата:
Hi,

I am trying a simple insert command with select
statement (Insert into <table> (<column list>) select
<column list> from <table>).
The data to be inserted is around 1 GB.
The problem is that at the end of the insert
operation, data is NOT inserted.

I was monitoring target table file size and it was
getting increased during the operation. However at the
end of insert operation, the size has returned to old
size.
I changed some parameters in postgres configuration
file which are as follows:
checkpoint_segments=20
sort_mem = 16384
checkpoint_timeout=500
This I did because during earlier operations, I was
getting message "too many checkpoints. Consider
increasing checkpoints_segments"

So please can someone tell me why data is not getting
inserted in table?

Thanks,
Akanksha Kulkarni

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: data not getting inserted into table

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 09:51, akanksha kulkarni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying a simple insert command with select
> statement (Insert into <table> (<column list>) select
> <column list> from <table>).
> The data to be inserted is around 1 GB.
> The problem is that at the end of the insert
> operation, data is NOT inserted.
>
> I was monitoring target table file size and it was
> getting increased during the operation. However at the
> end of insert operation, the size has returned to old
> size.
> I changed some parameters in postgres configuration
> file which are as follows:
> checkpoint_segments=20
> sort_mem = 16384
> checkpoint_timeout=500
> This I did because during earlier operations, I was
> getting message "too many checkpoints. Consider
> increasing checkpoints_segments"
>
> So please can someone tell me why data is not getting
> inserted in table?

Unlikely that any of those config settings would anything to do with it,
but without more info we're kind of flying blind. I'm going to guess
your either not COMMITting your transaction when your done, or your
getting an error your unaware of. Check your database logs (or turn them
on in postgresql.conf if needed) and post back to the list with an error
message and version information.

Robert Treat

Re: data not getting inserted into table

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Дата:
Are all the insert operations inside a transaction?
ie do you notice a

begin ; or
begin work;

line in the initial part of the .sql file
then there shud be a commit; line in the
end of the sql file otherwise the transaction
will rollback.

in case you are inserting from a program you
must send commit instruction to the server.
in DBI/perl eg its $dbh -> commit()

regds
mallah.

--

regds
Mallah.

Rajesh Kumar Mallah
| Tradeindia.com  (3,11,246) Registered Users         |
| Indias' Leading B2B eMarketPlace                  |
| http://www.tradeindia.com/                |