Обсуждение: Slony NG

Slony NG

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Hi all,
why don't you create comp.database.postgresql.slony  NG ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Slony NG

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:54:29 +0200,
  Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> why don't you create comp.database.postgresql.slony  NG ?

It isn't that simple. For big 8 newsgroups you have to make a proposal
and people vote on it. You need 100 more Yes's than No's.

Re: Slony NG

От
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:54:29 +0200,
>   Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > why don't you create comp.database.postgresql.slony  NG ?
>
> It isn't that simple. For big 8 newsgroups you have to make a proposal
> and people vote on it. You need 100 more Yes's than No's.

Big-8 newsgroup creation policies didn't stop somebody from simply
gating the mailing lists into Usenet already.  (And, one imagines,
sending out illegitimate newgroup control messages.)  Big-8 newsgroup
policy didn't stop irresponsible Usenet news providers from carrying
those illegitimate groups.  Why stand on ceremony now?

(Yes, that was sarcasm.)

Jim

Re: Slony NG

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Re: Slony NG

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 15:32:49 +0200,
  Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> | On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:54:29 +0200,
> |   Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> |
> |>Hi all,
> |>why don't you create comp.database.postgresql.slony  NG ?
> |

> | It isn't that simple. For big 8 newsgroups you have to make a proposal
> | and people vote on it. You need 100 more Yes's than No's.
>
> Let start then...

Go ahead. You don't need anyone here to OK putting forward a new group
creation proposal. Googling for newsgroup creation should point you to
documentation on the process. The only thing you want to get from here
is some idea of whether or not people are likely to vote for creation
of the newsgroup.
Personally I will probably abstain.

Re: Slony NG

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Re: Slony NG

От
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Дата:
Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I was believing that the NGs news.XX.postgresql.org were managed by
> postgresql developer group and the vote could be easily done trough a
> poll in the postgresql web site.

For postgresql.org's own news servers, maybe.  I really don't know.
But for newsgroups in the big-8 hierarchy carried by other news
servers: As someone who was involved in the creation of a newsgroup in
the big-8 hierarchy, I can tell you it's much more involved than that.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/ will give
you an idea of the process.

Jim

Re: Slony NG

Дата:
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) writes:
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/ will give
> you an idea of the process.

AFAIK *none* of the comp.databases.postgresql newsgroups have actually
been put through the vote process, and so they are all rogue groups in
the eyes of people who take Usenet seriously.  (This used to bother me
quite a bit back when I took Usenet seriously, but I stopped reading it
five or more years ago.)

If anyone actually wants to do something in this line, the first step
would be to shepherd through a vote legitimizing the existing postgresql
groups.  Don't expect it to be easy, as I am sure we are already on the
hate-list of a lot of Usenet people for having ignored the voting
process for so many years.

If by some chance you are still alive after that, you can think about
proposing brand new newsgroups.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Slony NG

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 19:56, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> | On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 15:32:49 +0200,
> |   Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> |>|
> |>|
> |>|

> |>Let start then...
> |

> | Go ahead. You don't need anyone here to OK putting forward a new group
> | creation proposal. Googling for newsgroup creation should point you to
> | documentation on the process. The only thing you want to get from here
> | is some idea of whether or not people are likely to vote for creation
> | of the newsgroup.
> | Personally I will probably abstain.
> |

> I was believing that the NGs news.XX.postgresql.org were managed by postgresql
> developer group and the vote could be easily done trough a poll in the postgresql
> web site.

You are aware that there is a slony mailing list at
http://gborg.postgresql.org/mailman/listinfo/slony1-general right? Does
that not serve your purposes?

Robert Treat

Re: Slony NG

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Robert Treat wrote:
| On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 19:56, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

|>Bruno Wolff III wrote:
|>
|>| On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 15:32:49 +0200,
|>|   Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:
|>|

Re: Slony NG

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Oops! mendola@bigfoot.com (Gaetano Mendola) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> | You are aware that there is a slony mailing list at
> | http://gborg.postgresql.org/mailman/listinfo/slony1-general right? Does
> | that not serve your purposes?
>
> I knew it, some times I'm in IRC too, but I feel better using a NG instead of
> a mailing list, just because I can consult it also if my laptop is not with me.

If someone were to ask the folks at gmane to mirror/news-gateway the
Slony mailing list, that could probably work.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/advocacy.html

Re: Slony NG

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Oops! mendola@bigfoot.com (Gaetano Mendola) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
>> | You are aware that there is a slony mailing list at
>> | http://gborg.postgresql.org/mailman/listinfo/slony1-general right? Does
>> | that not serve your purposes?
>>
>> I knew it, some times I'm in IRC too, but I feel better using a NG instead of
>> a mailing list, just because I can consult it also if my laptop is not with me.
>
> If someone were to ask the folks at gmane to mirror/news-gateway the
> Slony mailing list, that could probably work.

Just as a side note, comp.databases.postgresql.projects.slony1 was created
the other day on news.postgresql.org ... not sure if Jan has had a chance
to subscribe the appropriate address so that mail is gated to it, but the
group is there ...

----