Обсуждение: Help: System requirements for postgresql 7.4.1

Help: System requirements for postgresql 7.4.1

От
"Juan Carlos Diez"
Дата:
Hello, I'm evaluating that version and I can't find system requirements for it. Could anybody please help me with these
questions?

1.1. Hardware:
1.1.1. C.P.U. (how many processors, what speed)
1.1.2. Ram. (minimum and desired)
1.1.3. Disk.
1.1.4. Networking.
1.1.5. Scalability

1.2. Software:
1.2.1. OS. (wich versions and patches are required for linux and solaris)
1.2.2. Required software packages.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

JCD.

Re: Help: System requirements for postgresql 7.4.1

От
Sam Barnett-Cormack
Дата:
The short answer is, you can run it on just about anything any system
that will run an OS it will run under.

How well it will perform depends on your system and what you're trying
to do with it.

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths

Re: Help: System requirements for postgresql 7.4.1

От
Thierry Missimilly
Дата:
Hi,

In fact it is difficult to answer to that questions as they depend of how big is your database, how many simultaneous
connectionsyou
have, ... etc
But, I can help you by giving you my results on a Bi-CPU Xeon 2.6 GHz , 4 Gb RAM, external 2  x RAID0 on four disks
eachwith Redhat
9.0.

1) Connections : This system support easily 500 simultaneous connections. The performances decrease only by 11 %
between100 users and
500 users.

2) Database size : This is a bit more complex. If your database size is 700 Mb (less << RAM size) the performances are
verygood. But
when the database size is bigger than the RAM size, the I/O increased rapidly and your system spend time in Wait I/O
state.For
example, I have noted that from 700 Mb to 7 Gb the performances drop by 65% on my 4 GB memory machine. That' s don't
meansthey are
bad but that means that if you want to improve performances on very big Database you should have to spend money to
increasethe I/O
throughput instead of bought more CPUs.
Please note that this remarks is valid on other RDBMS, even on commercial RDBMS.
Please note too, that there is about 30 % of performance gain between SCSI internal disks and an external RAID0
ChaparralLUN.

About the software, I have preferred to install my own downloaded Postgres 7.4 version as the Database Redhat package
isa less recent
Postgres version (7.2 or 7.3) and a lot of things have been improved in the 7.4. Further more, I prefer to install all
Postgresbin
and lib in /usr/local/pgsql than in /usr/bin and /usr/lib.

Thierry Missimilly

Juan Carlos Diez wrote:

> Hello, I'm evaluating that version and I can't find system requirements for it. Could anybody please help me with
thesequestions?

> 1.1. Hardware:
> 1.1.1. C.P.U. (how many processors, what speed)
> 1.1.2. Ram. (minimum and desired)
> 1.1.3. Disk.
> 1.1.4. Networking.
> 1.1.5. Scalability
>
> 1.2. Software:
> 1.2.1. OS. (wich versions and patches are required for linux and solaris)
> 1.2.2. Required software packages.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best regards,
>
> JCD.