Обсуждение: Are there programs to graph database schema?

Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
reina_ga@hotmail.com (Tony Reina)
Дата:
I know that there are standard ways to graph relational databases.

It occured to me that perhaps programs existed which simply parsed the
table definitions and plotted the graphs for you.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks.
-Tony

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
Enrico Ortmann
Дата:
Hi Tony,

TR> It occured to me that perhaps programs existed which simply parsed the
TR> table definitions and plotted the graphs for you.

If I need to create an [E]ER-Modell from an existing databasae,
I mostly use MS Visio professional. It can reverse engineer via
ODBC lots of DBS.

Rico

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
Juan Miguel
Дата:
Hi, I use MS Visio Professional, and it works (not very good), but it works.
I ever wondered if there is a opensource tool, that let me create an
automatic ER-Model diagram from an existing DB, like MS Visio.
Do you know if this tool exists ?

Thanks

>Hi Tony,
>
>TR> It occured to me that perhaps programs existed which simply parsed the
>TR> table definitions and plotted the graphs for you.
>
>If I need to create an [E]ER-Modell from an existing databasae,
>I mostly use MS Visio professional. It can reverse engineer via
>ODBC lots of DBS.
>
>Rico

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
Thierry Missimilly
Дата:
Hi,

For a small schema, i've used PGACESS. There is a graphical editor which help
you to draw boxes with the foreign keys.

Thierry

Juan Miguel wrote:

> Hi, I use MS Visio Professional, and it works (not very good), but it works.
> I ever wondered if there is a opensource tool, that let me create an
> automatic ER-Model diagram from an existing DB, like MS Visio.
> Do you know if this tool exists ?
>
> Thanks
>
> >Hi Tony,
> >
> >TR> It occured to me that perhaps programs existed which simply parsed the
> >TR> table definitions and plotted the graphs for you.
> >
> >If I need to create an [E]ER-Modell from an existing databasae,
> >I mostly use MS Visio professional. It can reverse engineer via
> >ODBC lots of DBS.
> >
> >Rico

> >TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
Enrico Ortmann
Дата:
Guten Tag Juan Miguel,

Hi Juan,

JM> Hi, I use MS Visio Professional, and it works (not very good), but it works.
JM> I ever wondered if there is a opensource tool, that let me create an
JM> automatic ER-Model diagram from an existing DB, like MS Visio.
JM> Do you know if this tool exists ?

Unfortunately I don't. I am unsatisfied with Visio too, but the point
of reason for using it is exactly that I don't know a better tool.
If anybody does - please let me know!

Rico

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Дата:
Juan Miguel wrote:

Greetings!

pg_autodoc

http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html

can produce .dot files that can be charted using
graphviz.

http://www.graphviz.org/

It works pretty well for medium sized databases
but for large it tends to produce a spaghetti.

Check the "Related Sites" in graphviz.org homepage.

Regds
mallah.

> Hi, I use MS Visio Professional, and it works (not very good), but it
> works.
> I ever wondered if there is a opensource tool, that let me create an
> automatic ER-Model diagram from an existing DB, like MS Visio.
> Do you know if this tool exists ?
>
> Thanks
>
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> TR> It occured to me that perhaps programs existed which simply
>> parsed the
>> TR> table definitions and plotted the graphs for you.
>>
>> If I need to create an [E]ER-Modell from an existing databasae,
>> I mostly use MS Visio professional. It can reverse engineer via
>> ODBC lots of DBS.
>>
>> Rico

>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

> your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
Leslie
Дата:
Hi All ,

Have a look at DbVisualizer-4.0.2
Java based ER tool that works very well.

Regards.
Leslie.

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 18:15, Enrico Ortmann wrote:
> Guten Tag Juan Miguel,
>
> Hi Juan,
>
> JM> Hi, I use MS Visio Professional, and it works (not very good), but it works.
> JM> I ever wondered if there is a opensource tool, that let me create an
> JM> automatic ER-Model diagram from an existing DB, like MS Visio.
> JM> Do you know if this tool exists ?
>
> Unfortunately I don't. I am unsatisfied with Visio too, but the point
> of reason for using it is exactly that I don't know a better tool.
> If anybody does - please let me know!
>
> Rico

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
"Hal Angseesing"
Дата:
We recently purchased DBVisualizer. It's really quite good for this kind of diagram (some quirks).
http://www.dbvis.com

It's not open source though and you do have a small charge to pay.
Cheers,
Hal.

can produce .dot files that can be charted using
graphviz.

http://www.graphviz.org/

It works pretty well for medium sized databases
but for large it tends to produce a spaghetti.

Check the "Related Sites" in graphviz.org homepage.

Regds
mallah.

> Hi, I use MS Visio Professional, and it works (not very good), but it
> works.
> I ever wondered if there is a opensource tool, that let me create an
> automatic ER-Model diagram from an existing DB, like MS Visio.
> Do you know if this tool exists ?
>
> Thanks
>
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> TR> It occured to me that perhaps programs existed which simply
>> parsed the
>> TR> table definitions and plotted the graphs for you.
>>
>> If I need to create an [E]ER-Modell from an existing databasae,
>> I mostly use MS Visio professional. It can reverse engineer via
>> ODBC lots of DBS.
>>
>> Rico

>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

> your

Re: Are there programs to graph database schema?

От
info@datanamic.com (Rick van Dijk)
Дата:
hello tony,

Our tool DeZign for Databases can do this for you. With the ImportER
Scripts add-on you can import SQL scripts containing create table
statements etc into the data modeling tool DeZign for Databases.

more info at
http://www.datanamic.com

regards
rick