Обсуждение: Changing NOT NULL condition on column

Changing NOT NULL condition on column

От
Bob Smith
Дата:
I need to change the not-null restriction on some columns in a table,
and this doesn't seem to be possible with ALTER TABLE.  Is it safe to
connect as superuser and update pg_attribute.attnotnull directly?  Or
is there a different way to do this, other than dropping/re-creating
the whole table?

I'm currently running 7.2.3, but will be upgrading soon so I'd like to
know if this would work with 7.3 as well.

Thanks!

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
bsmith@h-e.com

Re: Changing NOT NULL condition on column

Дата:
Bob Smith <bsmith@h-e.com> writes:
> I need to change the not-null restriction on some columns in a table,
> and this doesn't seem to be possible with ALTER TABLE.  Is it safe to
> connect as superuser and update pg_attribute.attnotnull directly?

Yeah.  I am not certain offhand that currently-running backends would
notice such a change, but at worst starting new sessions would cause
them to honor it.

> I'm currently running 7.2.3, but will be upgrading soon so I'd like to
> know if this would work with 7.3 as well.

In 7.3 there are ALTER TABLE variants to handle this more cleanly.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Changing NOT NULL condition on column

От
"eladio rodriguez"
Дата:
saludos.

en 7.3:
ALTER TABLE [ ONLY ] table [ * ]
    ALTER [ COLUMN ] column { SET | DROP } NOT NULL

en 7.2 no funciona.
tendrias que drop la columna y recrearla.

http://messenger.yupimsn.com/