Обсуждение: postings appearing twice...

postings appearing twice...

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah

Why do i get two emails  when people post to sql or admin lists?

This Does not seems to happen always but quite often. does anyone else
also experience the same?

Regds
Mallah

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

Re: postings appearing twice...

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 01:47, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> Why do i get two emails  when people post to sql or admin lists?
>
> This Does not seems to happen always but quite often. does anyone else
> also experience the same?

There could be several reasons, like majordomo being set to give you a
self copy of messages, or sending you one copy for each list on
cross-posted mails.

try sending the following to majordomo@postgresql.org

set LISTNAME noselfcopy (turn off self copy)
set LISTNAME unique    (no duplicates from multiple lists)

Robert Treat

Re: postings appearing twice...

От
Tim Ellis
Дата:
> Why do i get two emails  when people post to sql or admin lists?

It could be as simple as someone doing a "reply to all" in their mail
client, since the ADMIN list doesn't use the "Reply-To" header, then
hitting the standard "reply to all" button in Outlook-alikes will copy
the original poster. (My mail client is Evolution/Linux which mimics
this behaviour).

--
Tim Ellis
Author, http://tedia2sql.tigris.org

Re: postings appearing twice...

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:22:17AM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 01:47, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> >

> > Why do i get two emails  when people post to sql or admin lists?
> >
> > This Does not seems to happen always but quite often. does anyone else
> > also experience the same?
> >

> There could be several reasons, like majordomo being set to give you a
> self copy of messages, or sending you one copy for each list on
> cross-posted mails.

Another possibility is the community practice of replying to all  - both
the list and senders. This happens a lot over on HACKERS (as a means of
keeping discussions going quickly when the listserv is slow (long ago this
was true), keeping people in discussions that either don't subscribe to
that list, or in digest, etc.) Mostly, it's historical accident, I think.

> try sending the following to majordomo@postgresql.org
>
> set LISTNAME noselfcopy (turn off self copy)
> set LISTNAME unique    (no duplicates from multiple lists)

All good advice.

Ross
P.S. this was sent directly to one list: if you get dups, none of the
above apply.