Обсуждение: Limits to size of shared buffers?

Limits to size of shared buffers?

От
Jeff Boes
Дата:
Are there any limits to the size of the shared buffers parameter (as in,
can Postgres go beyond a 2 GB size when I do something like

shared_buffers = 262144   # uses 2 GB

I had set my system shared memory to more than 2 GB, but couldn't get
this line to work (Postgres returned an error when starting up).  I
backed down to

shared_buffers = 196608   # uses 1.5 GB

and everything was happy.

--
Jeff Boes                                      vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer                                     fax 269.349.9076

Re: Limits to size of shared buffers?

Дата:
Jeff Boes <jboes@nexcerpt.com> writes:
> Are there any limits to the size of the shared buffers parameter (as in,
> can Postgres go beyond a 2 GB size when I do something like

Probably not; IIRC the size of the shared memory segment is calculated
using signed integers, so it had better stay under 2Gb.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Limits to size of shared buffers?

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Jeff,

You have to set your system to a little more than 2 GB because there are other
parameters which also require some shared memory. Just experiement with the
values a little and you'll see where the maximum is. If you have more than 2
GB or RAM and your system allows you to go over 2 GB, set it maybe to a max
of 2.5 GB and try to start up postgres again.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network Grunt and bitpusher extraordinaire