Обсуждение: pg_dumpall and output formats?

pg_dumpall and output formats?

От
"John Madden"
Дата:
When trying to dump all of our databases,

pg_dumpall -b -o -F t --f full_pgbackup.tar

We're getting:

pg_dump: large object output is not supported for plain text dump files.
pg_dump: (Use a different output format.)

So it would seem that the "-F t" isn't getting passed to pg_dump.  The
option set does work fine when using pg_dump alone on a single database.
What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
  John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer

Re: pg_dumpall and output formats?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
*pg_dumpall* doesn't support large objects

pg_dumpall [-c | --clean] [-g | --globals-only] [-h host] [-p port] [-U
username] [-W]

 But note a limitation: it cannot dump "large objects", since pg_dump
cannot dump such objects into text files. If you have databases
containing large objects, they should be dumped using one of pg_dump's
non-text output modes.

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?app-pg-dumpall.html

You'll need to dump that db explicitly with pg_dump.

Robert Treat

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 12:16, John Madden wrote:
> When trying to dump all of our databases,
>

> pg_dumpall -b -o -F t --f full_pgbackup.tar
>

> We're getting:
>

> pg_dump: large object output is not supported for plain text dump files.
> pg_dump: (Use a different output format.)
>

> So it would seem that the "-F t" isn't getting passed to pg_dump.  The
> option set does work fine when using pg_dump alone on a single database.
> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
>   John
>

> --
> John Madden
> UNIX Systems Engineer
> Ivy Tech State College
> jmadden@ivytech.edu

Re: pg_dumpall and output formats?

От
"John Madden"
Дата:
> *pg_dumpall* doesn't support large objects
>
> pg_dumpall [-c | --clean] [-g | --globals-only] [-h host] [-p port] [-U
> username] [-W]

Ah, but aren't "all other options" supposed to be passed to pg_dump?
That's what I absorbed from the docs.

> You'll need to dump that db explicitly with pg_dump.

Righto.  I don't actually *use* large objects atm, but I'm writing a
backup script that I'd like to have support future DB's that might.

Thanks,
  John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer
Ivy Tech State College
jmadden@ivytech.edu

Re: pg_dumpall and output formats?

Дата:
John Madden wrote:
> > *pg_dumpall* doesn't support large objects
> >
> > pg_dumpall [-c | --clean] [-g | --globals-only] [-h host] [-p port] [-U
> > username] [-W]
>
> Ah, but aren't "all other options" supposed to be passed to pg_dump?
> That's what I absorbed from the docs.
>
> > You'll need to dump that db explicitly with pg_dump.
>
> Righto.  I don't actually *use* large objects atm, but I'm writing a
> backup script that I'd like to have support future DB's that might.

7.3 will properly throw an error if you try to use -F with pg_dumpall.
The 7.2 documentation mentions -f and -t as not supported but doesn't
mention -F.  7.3 will mention that too.