Обсуждение: client connection

client connection

От
"Gill, Jeffrey L"
Дата:
I am trying to make my first connection from a client machine to a postresql
server machine.   What is the correct client command syntax to connect to
the server?  I do not want to attempt encryption yet so I am not using SSH
or stunnel - I trying the easiest configuration i.e. telnet?.

Specs:  Client RedHat 7.1  2.4.2-2 kernal everything build
            Server RedHat 7.1  2.4.2-2 kernal everything build with
Interchange 4.8

Both of these hosts are on the same subnet and can ping each other.

I am learning Linux and Postgresql from scratch.

I have started the postmaster with '-i' option to allow TCP/IP connections.

I used the following command to do this and am using port 8888 to avoid lock
with port 5432.
Not sure if I have to do this but I show a message saying 5432 was locked.

pg_ctl -D /home/jeff/test -o '-i -p 8888'  restart

I edited the pg_hba.conf to allow any host from this subnet to connect i.e.
host    all    10.240.22.0     255.255.255.0     trust

The way I tried to connect as the client to the server was
telnet 10.240.22.203 8888

The response I get is
Connected 10.240.22.203
Escape character is '^]'.

When I hit the return key I get
Invalid packet length Connection closed by foreign host.

What am I doing wrong or what else do I need to do?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: client connection

От
Radu-Adrian Popescu
Дата:
[...]

Pardon my asking, but do you telnet www.postgresql.org 80 or do you use a web browser ?
What you're doing wrong is that you're trying to act as a postgresql client, instead of the default one (psql) or any other (say JDBC-based).
The postgresql protocol is propetary and you cannot simply telnet on it's port and expect to get right on with whatever is it you want to do. USE
A CLIENT instead.
You can however quickly verify that it accepts inbound TCP/IP connections.

Thanks,
Jeff

Radu-A. Popescu
CSA, DBA, Developer
www.aldratech.com

Re: client connection

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Дата:
You need to use psql to connect
eg:
psql -h 10.240.22.203 -p 8888 -U postgres -d template1
This is assumeing you used initdb as the postgres user.
If you haven't used initdb the command is:
initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
Replace this with wherever you want to place it
I suspect the as port 5432 is locked you either have another postmaster
already running, or some left over lock files (in /tmp). There's a
postgresql tutorial in the docs.
- Stuart