Обсуждение: client connection problem

client connection problem

От
Rasmus Mohr
Дата:
Hmmm... I've installed PostgreSQL 7.1.3 with the Red Hat 7.2 installation
package, and everything works fine when connecting from localhost as the
postgres user, but when I try to connect via TCP I get the usual
"connectDBStart() -- ..." error suggesting that postmaster was started
without the "-i" option.

"-i" is added to /etc/init.d/postgresql - a "ps ax | grep postmaster"
confirms this. The pg_hba.conf has modified to allow incoming connections
from the subnet, as shown

host         all         192.168.1.164   255.255.255.0     trust
host         all         192.168.1.150   255.255.255.0     trust
host         all         192.168.1.0     255.255.255.0     trust

and I've set "tcpip_socket=true" in the postgresql.conf file...

Yet I'm unable to establish a connection - what is wrong?

(nmap confirms that postgresql is listening at port 5432)

Rasmus T. Mohr            Phone   :          +45 70 117 117
Application Developer     Direct  :          +45 36 910 122
Netpointers Intl.         Mobile  :          +45 28 731 827
Vestergade 18 B           Website :     www.netpointers.com
1456 Copenhagen K         Email   :     rmo@netpointers.com

Re: client connection problem

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Rasmus-

Try adding a line to pg_hba.conf for localhost specifically- I'd guess that
the request is coming in with that address rather than the local machine's
IP address.

use a line like this:

host   all   127.0.0.1   255.0.0.0   trust

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Дата:
"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> Try adding a line to pg_hba.conf for localhost specifically- I'd guess that
> the request is coming in with that address rather than the local machine's
> IP address.

Another possibility is that the connection request is being dropped on
the floor by kernel packet filtering.  The default filtering in RH 7.2
is pretty aggressive (just the other day I had to change quite a few
things to get it to allow incoming and outgoing NFS, for example).
Check your ipchains setup in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains.

IIRC, the default ipchains setup does *not* filter localhost
connections, but I think it would apply to connections showing a source
address of your Ethernet IP.

            regards, tom lane

Re: client connection problem

От
Rasmus Mohr
Дата:
Bullseye! Packet filtering was the problem, and was solved by allowing
packets destined to port 5432 in ipchains.

thanx a lot!