Обсуждение: Visio

Visio

От
Jodi Kanter
Дата:
I need to create a diagram of our schema. I recently obtained a copy of Visio.
Has anyone used Visio to reverse engineer a model diagram from a Postgres database??
If not, can anyone recommend the best way to create a schema from Postgres without having to manually draw tables, add fields, etc...
Thanks
Jodi Kanter

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator
University of Virginia
(804) 924-2846
jkanter@virginia.edu

Re: Visio

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Jodi-

I should have mentioned on that last post that you need to be running V7.1.x
of PGSQL & use the JDBC driver for JDBC 2. Somebody recently added a fix to
metadata in the JDBC driver that makes it all work, so earlier versions
won't cut it.

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: Visio

От
Francisco Solari
Дата:
May I suggest Visible Analyst ? I'm using It and supports postgres

Jodi Kanter wrote:

I need to create a diagram of our schema. I recently obtained a copy of Visio.Has anyone used Visio to reverse engineer a model diagram from a Postgres database??If not, can anyone recommend the best way to create a schema from Postgres without having to manually draw tables, add fields, etc...ThanksJodi Kanter
_______________________________

Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator
University of Virginia
(804) 924-2846
jkanter@virginia.edu

Re: Visio

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:25:48PM -0500, Jodi Kanter wrote:
> I need to create a diagram of our schema. I recently obtained a copy of Visio.
> Has anyone used Visio to reverse engineer a model diagram from a Postgres database??
> If not, can anyone recommend the best way to create a schema from Postgres without having to manually draw tables,
addfields, etc...

Fire up pgaccess, which is a Tcl/Tk graphical front end to PostgreSQL.
Connect to your database, and hit the 'Schema' tab. Add tables, and define
linkages by dragging and dropping. Remember to save the schema. (It's
stored in the database in a table named pga_schema)

It's not full featured, but it'll stay with the database it documents,
and follow changes. That's why I wrote it. ;-)

Ross

Re: Visio

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
I've never used visio, but DBvisualizer works well if you have the key
relationships defined. You can get it free at http://www.minq.se

>Has anyone used Visio to reverse engineer a model diagram from a Postgres
database??

-Nick
Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: Visio

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Jodi Kanter wrote:

> I need to create a diagram of our schema. I recently obtained a copy
> of Visio.  Has anyone used Visio to reverse engineer a model diagram
> from a Postgres database??  If not, can anyone recommend the best way
> to create a schema from Postgres without having to manually draw
> tables, add fields, etc...

Not with Visio, but I think there's a new tool that can take a PostgreSQL
schema and generate an XML file for use in Dia (like Visio, but runs under
Gnome).

http://www.zort.ca/postgresql/

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
        -- William Allen White

wiew's & cache

От
Manuel Trujillo
Дата:
Hi.

Can Postgresql make a cache of different view's?
Is for a dynamic website.

Thank you.

--
Manuel Trujillo         manueltrujillo@dorna.es
Technical Engineer      http://www.motograndprix.com

Re: Visio

От
Mikhail Terekhov
Дата:
It works fine with the latest Postgrs ODBC driver here.

Regards,
Mikhail