Обсуждение: Slightly off topic - Hardware Question

Slightly off topic - Hardware Question

От
"Chris Ruprecht"
Дата:
Hi guys,

I want to move my current PostGreSQL system from my Intel/RedHat box to an AlphaServer 4100. The machine currently runs OSF-1, as far as I know but I want to install RedHat Linux 7.1 on it. Does anybody know if the machine, it's an older model, will actually run Linux at all? The alternative would be True64UNIX, but I would have to get an older version here, too, as the current version will not run (according to the Compaq Web site).

Best regards,
Chris

Re: Slightly off topic - Hardware Question

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Friday 05 October 2001 10:09 am, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> want to install RedHat Linux 7.1 on it. Does anybody know if the machine,
> it's an older model, will actually run Linux at all? The alternative would
> be True64UNIX, but I would have to get an older version here, too, as the
> current version will not run (according to the Compaq Web site).

See Red Hat's hardware compatibility lists.  You may have to downgrade to Red
Hat 6.2, though, depending upon which processor you have. www.redhat.com has
a wealth of information on hardware compatibility.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Slightly off topic - Hardware Question

От
"Chris Ruprecht"
Дата:
Lamar, Ryan,

I have tried RedHat - they don't have the machines listed. I have looked at
Compaq's site - no info. www.alphalinux.org is not responding, I guess, it's
down - been like that for the last 2 weeks.
I called Compaq's support line - they are uncertain but recommend to keep
running True64UNIX (OSF-1).

Now comes the question:

Will PostGreSQL run (compile) under OSF-1? If not 'out of the box', what do
I need to do to make it work?

Best regards,
Chris

Re: Slightly off topic - Hardware Question

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Chris Ruprecht writes:

> Will PostGreSQL run (compile) under OSF-1? If not 'out of the box', what do
> I need to do to make it work?

cat INSTALL

(Short answer: Yes)