Обсуждение: postgresql and samba

postgresql and samba

От
"Dong B . Calmada"
Дата:
Hi.

I am currently installing samba server. My organization has just decided postgresql as our official database server.
Haveyou any experience in this chemistry, I mean, postgresql working under samba environment? Can they work together,
thatis?

Thanks.

--
DONG B. CALMADA
Database Administrator

-----------------------------------
Information is power!  Set it free!

Re: postgresql and samba

От
Hans Spaans
Дата:
On Friday 31 August 2001 10:13, you wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am currently installing samba server. My organization has just
> decided postgresql as our official database server. Have you any
> experience in this chemistry, I mean, postgresql working under samba
> environment? Can they work together, that is?

Why not? Postgresql is a rdbms and smb a protocol to share files with
other computers. You connect to postgresql with odbc of with the
postgresql-clients (think psql on Unix). So I don't see any problems,
except when you expect to access the postgresql-files directly through
smb like ms-access does. Proberly there is no problem or you haven't
tolled us everything :)

Greetz
Hans

--
"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I
only coded it."

Re: postgresql and samba

От
ecaillava@interlap.com.ar
Дата:
Tengo a mi cargo una red local compuesta de un dominio
con alrededor de 50 máquinas Win98, mas unos 70
usuarios mas distribuídos en 6 sub-redes.
Todos son clientes de dos servidores corriendo ambos
SuSE 7 y Samba 2.2.1a, en ambos casos como PDC, pero
además, uno de ellos corre PostgreSQL 7.1 con una Base
de Datos que actualmente tiene unos 9 GB de info en
alrededor de 30 tablas, cada una con cerca del millón
de registros.

Hace ya casi un año que funciona el sistema, pese a
varias actualizaciones, y nunca tuve siquiera que
reiniciar ninguno de los servidores.

Contesta eso tu pregunta ?

Espero haberte sido de utilidad.

Eduardo
Administrador de Redes
Sub-Dirección de Sistemas de la Provincia
Tucumán Argentina
ecaillava@interlap.com.ar
DONG ESCRIBIO:

Hi.

I am currently installing samba server. My organization
has just decided
postgresql as our official database server. Have you
any experience in this
chemistry, I mean, postgresql working under samba
environment? Can they work
together, that is?

Thanks.

--
DONG B. CALMADA
Database Administrator
Institute for Popular Democracy
http://www.ipd.ph
Tel. (63-2) 4346674
Fax (63-2) 9262893
Mobile Phone No. 0917-9339099
Alternate email addresses:
dongski4martin@yahoo.com
dongski@calban.org

-----------------------------------
Information is power!  Set it free!

    Enviado via http://www.interlap.com.ar - Tu Email POP3 Gratis
     Ademas : programas, chat, letras de canciones, noticias y mucho mas
       Muda tu sitio a interlap ahora y obtene un  20% de descuento
                         y un mes de Publicidad Gratis

Sender-IP: 200.45.183.102

Re: postgresql and samba

От
ecaillava@interlap.com.ar
Dear Dong:

    I wrote you past friday abouth your question,
but, so sorry !
I did it in spanish, I didn´t mean it.

I will try to reproduce it in english, wich is not my
languaje:

I manage a net with two servers SuSE Linux 7 - Samba
2.2.1a - PostgreSQL 7.1,
both servers (as PDC) support one principal domain with
around 50 clients
and 6 sub-nets with others 70 clients -till now and
growing every day-.

So, Samba give access and files service to around 120
win98 clients at day,
and every one of they have access to PostgreSQL DB
service across a large
intranet, with DataBase with more than 9 GB of info, in
many tables with
around 1.000.000 reg. every one.

We have almost one year working with this system
WITHOUT A PROBLEM, and
without even reset the servers, not even when we had
periodically to actualize
the programs to pass from a version to another (like
samba 2.0.7 till 2.2.1a),
most times we did it "in hot", switching the titular of
service between both
servers from one to another alternativelly.

I've tested insistently the system with few non
ortodoxes method, like control
response time compareing it with a AS400 running DB2,
and the Linux-Samba-PostgreSQL
system every time is winning, even when this servers -
off courses- count with much less
hardware resources.

I hope you can understand poor english response and
this be aproppiate to you.

Greetings from Tucumán - Argentina

Eduardo Caillava
Net Administrator
Sub-Direccion de Sistemas
Provincia de Tucuman
    Enviado via http://www.interlap.com.ar - Tu Email POP3 Gratis
     Ademas : programas, chat, letras de canciones, noticias y mucho mas
       Muda tu sitio a interlap ahora y obtene un  20% de descuento
                         y un mes de Publicidad Gratis

Sender-IP: 200.45.85.13